Here's a project I started a couple weeks ago when I was doing some leather work when the urge to do some forging started to fester. I didn't feel like forging anything large so it took me awhile to find a chunk of steel that was just the right size. The smaller of the 3 knives started from a 3 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 1/4" piece of 1084. After I had that blade forged I decided to add 1 1/2" to the the next bar and so on. The first picture shows the blades and the exact size piece each one started from. I used osage orange for the handle material on all 3. Each handle was dyed differently. Starting with the smaller knife it has a 4 1/2" blade and is 9" overall. Next has a 6" blade and is 11 1/4" overall. The largest one has a 7 1/4" blade and is 12 1/4" overall. All have wrought iron fittings.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

Ray,

Your blades always look great. Hopefully you are as good a fisherman as you are bladesmith. Very nice work. Take care. Wade

Very nice, I like the shading in the handles.

Hi Ray, impressive as always, nice set.

Peter

Nice set! I'm gonna have to remember to cut my osage on the bias like that next time someone asks for it. Looks MUCH better than plain sawn.

I wanted to be the first to say you CONGRATS my friend!! but... anyway, beautiful, beautiful work like always, amazing blades bolsters and woods (sweet!), perfect craftwork. I still saving some bucks... :wacko::rolleyes: all the very best from Seville (Spain)

Here's a project I started a couple weeks ago when I was doing some leather work when the urge to do some forging started to fester. I didn't feel like forging anything large so it took me awhile to find a chunk of steel that was just the right size. The smaller of the 3 knives started from a 3 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 1/4" piece of 1084. After I had that blade forged I decided to add 1 1/2" to the the next bar and so on. The first picture shows the blades and the exact size piece each one started from. I used osage orange for the handle material on all 3. Each handle was dyed differently. Starting with the smaller knife it has a 4 1/2" blade and is 9" overall. Next has a 6" blade and is 11 1/4" overall. The largest one has a 7 1/4" blade and is 12 1/4" overall. All have wrought iron fittings.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

Edited by Joa

I wanted to be the first to say you CONGRATS my friend!! but... anyway, beautiful, beautiful work like always, amazing blades bolsters and woods (sweet!), perfect craftwork. I still saving some bucks... :wacko::rolleyes: all the very best from Seville (Spain)

Joa, I was surprised to see a post from you. Good to see you around! I still accept bucks from Spain......... :D

Those are really gorgeous! Is the pattern just from an acid etch or do you have something else going on there.

Thanks for showing them off.

Beautifull, I love your transitioned shots of before/almost done/after.

Chris

Nice knives as usual Ray i like them all :P.

Bob

Hi There,

I live in Vancouver, and work in Gresham. I would love to stop in and see your shop, talk some bladesmithing.

The middle one makes me drool, and they are all gorgeous. Note to self, cut osage at an angle for handles. :P

Hi There,

I live in Vancouver, and work in Gresham. I would love to stop in and see your shop, talk some bladesmithing.

Clay, Shoot me a PM. I think we can arrange a bull session.

Wow, very nice knives! Awesome wood grain, and a beautiful finish on the blades.