A Texas size Bowie....

Wild Rose

or birth of the Frambo (frontier + Rambo) aka WildGoo 17.......

This one is going to a customer in Texas - the blade is 12 1/4" x 2 1/2" - OAL is a hair under 19".

It's in the works - things still to do are: add a 1" or so wide buffalo rawhide wrap/ferrule just above the guard edged with brass nails, carve the end cap into a Texas star with a poured pewter center circle since I need to add just a bit of weight on the back end to bring it into balance, maybe add some checkering on the grip behind the ferrule, and then age everything. The guard has three wrought iron inserts on both sides - you can sort of see them, they'll show up better after I finish it out.

These pics show the progression so far......

wildgoo-17-01.jpg

wildgoo-17-02.jpg

wildgoo-17-03.jpg

then comes the sheath - this is a working drawing - the sheath will be rawhide over a bark tan liner, with brass tacks (the brownish circles), and lots of

beadwork - some danglies too, but they're not shown - and yes I know the tip is missing - my scanner isn't big enough!

wildgoo-17-04.jpg

I'll update as I go along........

Chuck Burrows

Wild Rose Trading Co

chuck@wrtcleather.com

www.wrtcleather.com

I use Fiebings regular leather dye. In this case it was thinned dark brown (I only buy dark brown and then thin to lighten for everything I use it for). Each piece of antler is different and will take the dye at different rates and the color will vary. On some pieces I will use black first to get down into the crevices let sit for a few minutes and then apply brown or brown mixed with British tan over that. Let dry and rub back with a cloth. To finish I use a homemade version of a period linseed oil and rosin based violin varnish widely used on firearms. A commercial option that is close is Tried and True Oil Varnish.

Here's some more pics......

In the hand shot.....my hand is a little larger than normal........

wildgoo-17-05.jpg

Only thing left to do is sew the rawhide wrap on the grip....

wildgoo-17-06.jpg

The butt cap carved into a Texas star with poured lead/pewter inlays to bring it into balance.....

wildgoo-17-07.jpg

A closeup of the back side of the guard - I fluted it on both sides to reduce weight.....

wildgoo-17-08.jpg

Some might "question" the somewhat rough overall finish, but that's the aesthetic I'm going for - a piece built on the frontier by a blacksmith with minimal tools rather than by a trained cutler and then used but not abused for several years....

Chuck Burrows

Wild Rose Trading Co

chuck@wrtcleather.com

www.wrtcleather.com

I like it. It is a big'un :) And I like purposeful "rough" finishes. So long as it is done well (and it certainly appears to be done well) I think knives finished such are amongst my favorite styles. Well done ! :)

Important to dye the black first, if using both black and brown, in my experience. Unless of course you like green. ;)

I like it. It is a big'un :) And I like purposeful "rough" finishes. So long as it is done well (and it certainly appears to be done well) I think knives finished such are amongst my favorite styles. Well done ! :)

I agree completely Howard. Often you see knives...and the maker tells you 'I did it with a 'rough' finish on purpose'...when it's pretty clear by the overall quality it's just a roughly made knife, and the comment is sort of an 'out' if you know what I mean.

Definately not the case here!

You and Tai both hit another homerun with this one I think. Every blade you guys put together is completely different from the last, while still holding true to the same theme. Can't wait to see it finished!!

Cris

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast, fast is deadly... Erik R.

http://www.facebook.com/scorpionforge

I really like that. I have really been inspired by your past work, and this is just as impressive.

I love the grit and patina, and rough forgemarks. It just adds so much life into your peices. the angles, balance..its perfect.

You have been a huge inspiration to me as far as your style of knife making... Thankyou very much for showing what is possible! true art.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE it! :)

Big rustic and brutal!

everything I love.

and mindblowing beed work on the sheath!

Bloody brilliant and inspiring work all the way through.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

I can only hope to be able to create a knife and sheath as awe inspiring as this. What a package, it has everything that a bladesmith could ever aim for in a finished piece. Art, style, imagination and craftsmanship all come together. Very well done. Wade

Wade

Jos et löydä rauhaa itsestämme on turhaa etsiä sitä muualta.

If you can not find peace within yourself, it is useless to look elsewhere.

Visit my website http://www.wadesknives.com

I love it.

To me this type of Bowie is had to beat.

I own two I*XL Bowie's, one is the California knife and the other is a design that JB did himself supposedly.

They both have the same file pattern on the blade backs as yours.

Very nice.