E-bay power hammers

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now THAT"S a hammer. Too bad it's not steam powered. Can anyone read the maker, I think it says George Boothe, but it's hard to read.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

It looks like it says George Booth & Co with Dunhams Patent in the middle...could be wrong.

Tony J. Havard

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

cool looking hammer......awful big footprint tho

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320364253233

I just found this one, too bad the guy wants $300 just to load it on a truck!

Matt

Interesting very tall anvil in the back ground

Kerry, I told you at the hammer in, You need a bigger stump! :D

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

that's a swedish anvil to match the swedish hammer. i've done some reading on a swedish smithing website before and this style is common over there.

A press rather than a hammer,

but something actually in the UK,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=160333472363

the beauts you people are posting kill any good deal with shipping,

anyone have any opinions,

it seems to have a reasonably large shop footprint,more the height at 1.9 metre's,

but the price of the press and the shipping of around £100 is favourable,

cut and paste info from the seller,(hope its ok with forum rules,info is from the ended auction not the relist)

it was powered by a 150 psi average sized compressor.it was used for bending bar stock etc in a stainless steel workshop.

to seperate the top from the bottonm is possible but not easy,you would have to unscreww the four nuts on the uprights and then lift the top off.

i can strap it to 1 pallet if you organise your own courier but it is top heavy so if i was sending it to you it would have to be lying down on 2 pallets as my pallet company wont touch it standing up.

if you need any more info please ask.

thanks

martin

seller seems very helpfull etc,

i have no idea with this stuff,anyone have any opinions,

the fact it runs on the gauge up to 14 tonnes only,,

i currently have a 150 litre compresser,but it has a three phase moter,and the quote to swop it out means the tank is destined for a HT forge,so this press would mean adding a larger compresser than i was thinking of currently,

leaves me thinking i may be better off with a home made bottle jack type as featured elswhere on the site,

appreciate any thoughts,

or if another UK guy jumps on it,fair play,:)

Lee,

You'd be better served with a hydraulic press rather than a pneumatic one. Also, you're likely to find that most industrial presses don't move quite quickly enough for forging. That can be fixed by swapping in a bigger pump, but that often means a bigger motor as well. I'd shoot for about 24 tons on a press. It works very well. I'm not certain that 14 would give you the "squish" you're looking for.

-d

that looks like an interesting tool...

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

Cheers Guys,

adding to the compresser issue,i was a little unsure of the output compared to the homemade stuff,

appreciate the info D,

best,

lee,

anyang 33#

Milford, Delaware

end - May-21-09

Mike Lambiase

I've seen one of these in almost new condition. The guy wanted $2500.00 for it. Wish I had the money at the time. I think he said they were $3800.00 new. So starting bid of $4000.00 is kind of nuts, me thinks. Unless they have seriously gone up in price. But they are nice little hammers.

Tony G

I've seen one of these in almost new condition. The guy wanted $2500.00 for it. Wish I had the money at the time. I think he said they were $3800.00 new. So starting bid of $4000.00 is kind of nuts, me thinks. Unless they have seriously gone up in price. But they are nice little hammers.

Tony G

I thought $4000 was a reasonable way to price it.....They are $4800 FOB Texas for a new one.....and its not like you are going to wear one out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Whitney-No-20-Sheetmet...3A1%7C294%3A200

Rpper #2o....'This is the punch Bill Moran used to make slots in Guards...I have one they work great...with the right punch and die they can punch 1" holes in 1" steel I use a .150 x .75 punch for almost all my guards

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

Little bit on the large side, but some people are into that kind of thing. How's about #1600 tup?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-000-lb-Chambersberg-...Q2em118Q2el1247

This think is a little more reasonable, Sahinler SM40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sahinler-SM-40-air-ham...1QQcmdZViewItem

Steel is my canvas, a hammer my brush.

• 4 weeks later...