Opinions on this tool....

There is a similar model that bolts on a grinder but uses a longer belt. I believe it too is a 2X42. You would be much better off with that than the one you posted or a sears sander IMO. Of course this is coming from the guy thats been hand sanding in a hollow grind for 2 days because I don't have a belt sander.

I have one that I use all the time for rough work like shaping a blade off the bandsaw. It is nice to keep a 36 grit belt on, that way I don't have to switch belts on the KMG.

I'd never use it to gring a blade but there are so many other operations in the shop.

I made enough knives on one of those to buy my Burr King.... the disk attachment is worthless, the belts run fast and wear out fast, platen is crap (add a ceramic or thermal glass platen) It was a HUGE improvement over grinding blades on a small hand grinder upside down in a bench vise though ;)

Go with the Sears 2x42 if you want a less expensive belt grinder of save your money for a better ginder. That set up comes under the heading of grinder substitutes that are usable, but barely. The big problem is that the belt is going to turn way too fast and will have a tendancy to overheat the steel which can cause overtempering on the final grind if you're not very careful.

Doug Lester.

this was my next step on after my trusty bastard file ... and i still have and use it in my workshop.

yeah, the belts move fast ... but so long as you take care of the heat side .. its not so bad.

the only big big problem is that, as was said, the platen is utterly crap.

so replace it with a ceramic one and you will be fine.

its handy .. especially for those of us who cant afford the big commercial grinders .. or who cant get them where they are.

-_-

Thanks guys,and Lady..Im more of a blacksmith to start with.I have all the smithing equipment I can ask for but Im lacking in the bladesmithing dept.Ive been making knives for a while but am obviously not satisfied with my grinders..You would laugh your butts off if you saw what I was grinding on.. :lol: Though it has put money into the ol' paypal account..Im trying to do what I did with all my smithing equipment..Just make and sell and upgrade as I can..Ive thought about the 2 x 42 craftsman seriously..I was just thinking about the contact wheel on this model.. :wacko: Dang, my wife just bought me a swage block for my birthday..To soon to ask for a grinder..LOL

Edited by KYBOY

I never actually used the contact wheel on the tool :D I still use it to flatten handle material. I wouldn't laugh at your tools, like I said I used to use one of those hand held belt sanders upside down in a bench vise. I used a lot of filing to get the plunges remotely right.

See being a blacksmith(and a welder) first has spoiled me because Im so use to making everything I need..Hammers,tongs,hardys,punches,chisels..ect..ect..I know I could make a grinder no problem but then again the pulleys and contact wheel alone would cost a lot. Ill probably try this one or the craftsman and update the platen to do me for a while...

In between the useless and the expensive is the Kalamazoo 2x 48 at about $250...They are fast ,rugged machines often used in industry...they've been made forever and can often be found on ebay....I started out with one and still use it with a 36# for hogging.

or you could make the 2x 72 kmg knock off from the directions on the site here. I just started on one and it's really a very easy thing to make especially since the directions are so easy to follow.