Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tai

off the starting blocks...at what age did

im just curious as to when everyone started forging blades. i have just recently got a taste of it all at age 24, and was wondering if anyone here started around that age as well.

thanks,

Brent

pacesetter_1@hotmail.com

Guest Tai
Brent, I started when I was 20, now 46. I don't think a day has went by, that I didn't think about bladesmithing.

I was 29 when I started forging, a late bloomer, that was 27 years ago.

There was a period when all we saw in the audience at the hammerins were gray hairs, but that has changed and now there are more and more young folks getting involved.

Guest Tai
I was always the wild youngster in the crowd,... the "firebrand". I wonder if some of that stuck?  [dunno]   [grouphug]

while i cant exactly get my hands dirty in it yet as i have no place to make noise and get things hot, i honestly try to read somthing about forging  whenever i have a chance and (this site is absolutely fabulous for information by the way)... until next year when i can start asssembling a shop and making noise it will have to suffice...:) i've had a great intro to the processes through Mr. Mike Blue, and hope to get going on my own next june (end of current lease, start of renting/buying a house in the sticks:))

the whole reason for the question was that i feel as though i was/ am a late starter. its good to know that there are others that started along toe same timelines as i have.

.. that and its always nice to know stuff like this about people you admire.:)

Brent

pacesetter_1@hotmail.com

Im 12 and interested in starting soon

I guess I'm the oldphart, here. I didn't start forging in earnest 'till last year, when I was 52. Before that, I did only stock removal. Now I'm strictly fire and hammer, although Tai taught me how to make a forge almost 10 years ago. Not that I'm a slow starter, it's just that I have to think about things for a while! :cool:

Im 12 and interested in starting soon

i started in  80 should be better than i am thats a looong time

if u r 12 and want to learn ANYTHING abut this stufffff

just ask

visit someone close to u

i,ll bet there r smiths close enough to get u started

my boys are 15 and 12

they both forge

u will love it

:)

harley

I was 12 when i was first introduced to blacksmithing and the first thing i forged was a sword :D  ... well an attempt at a sword anyway.  i started studying bladesmithing and regularly working a forge under the supervision of a blacksmith when i was 17 and I started doing it for a living at 24 after a couple mis-starts.  I'm now 26 and have been making a full time living at it for around two years, startin to get into a groove I think :o

First forged a couple of blades at 30.  Getting serious now at 40.

I caught the bug when I was a little kid (around 6 or 7?).  My dad gave me his Navy pocketknife.  "Where does steel come from?" I asked, and the rest is developing into history.

Now, don't think that I picked up a hammer and built a fire as a little sprouter, but I did read a lot during my elementary and highschool years.  The library is our friend.  The "affair" was on and off, but about three years ago it caught BIG! It wasn't until about December of 2001 that I started to really look into materials, etc. I'm 25, as long as we're sharing :D

started making knives when i was 20, im 58 now still in love with it.

started forging after making a trip to Batsons and  i think that was the third one ,  whent to learn silver inlay from Allen  Aldridge  learned a hole lot more never tured back and its still fun

Bowie

I've wanted to make knives since I was 14, and have been reading and thinking about it ever since. Always thought there'd be a time when it was practical, discovered at age 35 that time was passing rather quickly so I started up. That was bout 5 years ago and I forged my first blade about 4 years ago. I wish I had started 20 years ago, I might be happier. (I certainly had more energy 20 years ago!!! :P )

I was 20 when I hit my first hot steel, and 24 when I got serious about it. I like it a lot.

just so you know, you live my dream.:)

as do most of the other gentleman/ladies that post on this site.

i have been wanting to do it since i was 13 watching all of those kung fu movies and such. so i wanted to make my own sword

this last year i started researching it. i know have a binder full of designs and metalurigical analysis of all sorts of various steel.

i have been slowly trying to build a small shop but the Navy does not give me much time or money to do so.

i just turned 23 last month.

I started about 3 years ago, and I'm 32 now.  I'm still not really serious about it.   :P   I like the forge, but I have to be in the right mood for the profiling and polishing work.

I'm looking forward to the day when I've paid enough dues and gotten good enough that I can stop working for employers. My opinion of most of them is rather low! [tapedshut]