Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tai

off the starting blocks...at what age did

Good question. I started at about 23, and still have the first thing I made, a really ugly but more or less functional rolled-socket spear point that began as a rr spike. Of course that doesn't count the years and years of geekdom I spent in D&D, then F&SF conventions, then SCA, and all those interests led me to begin smithing. I think of it as sort of a progression, from all mental toward a more healthy balance between mental and physical activity. It's now a dozen years later and I'm still learning every day, but the pieces are beginning to fall in place. And I'm having a blast.

Last year I went to visit this festival called Scarborough Fair, in Waxahache,Tx, and I met a bladesmith there. we literally talked for hours about bladesmithing. that sparked my interest enough for me to research the craft and I'm finally getting all the parts to make my forge. By the way I'm 17.-Loren

Reet2002,

Age doesn't matter, maturity is more important.

I made a rebar tanto at age 13.  I regret now (age 30) that I didn't stick with it when I first started. I know I'd be a lot farther along now if I had.

Just be careful, almost everything we deal with can be dangerous.

About four years ago when I was 46. Wish I had started when I was 10 or 12 or 17 or at least a lot sooner than I did.

I got interested in 1974 when I was 30.  Took basic blacksmithing classes cause I didn't even know how to make a fire.  Made my first damascus blade in 75.  I never saw anybody elses damascus ( except pictures) until 1978 at a work shop at Daryl Meier's. Hooked ever since, just wish I could spend more time at it.  I guess I could be included in with the old farts. lol.

Louie M.   ( Yasutomo )

There's no doubt Louie. You are an old fart! :P

Sung to the tune of "When You're a Jet"....

When you're old fart you're a fart all the way,

From your first smoky forge to your last rusty day..."

Okay, that's all I've got. Pitch in and let's have some more verses!