Shinogi Zukuri Wakizashi / O-Tanto

Well i am sure most will say this is a first for me to have forged three blades in one week. Well I did one Hira Zukuri Katana, a O-Tanto or Wakizashi in the Shinogi Zukuri style with O-Kissaki, I hope. And the third blade the Pioneer blade, whew been busy at the forge.

This is about the Wakizashi / O-Tanto

Steel W-2 ( Don Hanson's )

Thickness at Mune machi just over 1/4"

at the Ha machi just under 1/4"

Width of blade at mune machi it 1 1/2" at

yokote 1 3/8"

OVL 18"

I will be filing at some point to get the width to a workable size. As for the thickness I am happy with it.

Here are a few pictures and yes there is a ridge line (Shinogi) the scale is a little bit much but it is there and very crisp.

SD531155.jpg

SD531158.jpg

SD531159.jpg

SD531160.jpg

SD531165.jpg

SD531166.jpg

Let me know what you think.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Alan I finnally figured out what I was doing wrong while forging my bevels, and I learned it from watching Walter forge a blade. I get in a hurry and want to finish it right then and there.

LOL patience is not my best attribute.

Looking good, can't wiat to see the finished blade.

I like it. Nice job. Boba Fett thinks so too.

Edited by Mike Sheffield

Yes I agree. A progression thread! Hey I'm a geek too...and most of my friends are. I can't wait to see the end result of this blade!

Weyland thanks and yes Ihave been working hard to be patient and forge slowly. Dee I could not have said it better. I have the tough guy look sometimes but my Fiance says it accent the cute cuddly side I have. Plus SCI-FI rules.

Ok guys and Gals here is a vid that I shot the other day, right after I took the wakizashi out of the vinegar, and started rough filing and using my sen on the blade.

Let me know what you think about the video, I will have more videos on this and the katana over the next few weeks.

• 1 month later...

No worried brad as i am working on it. Just trying to get my heat treat forge working first. Which should be done today I hope.

Edited by John Smith
No worried brad as i am working on it. Just trying to get my heat treat forge working first. Which should be done today I hope.

Good! Because I was looking forward to some progress too lol. Something to distract me from this little beast of a wakizashi I inherited out of that katana =).

Cris

Very nice forging. I hope to approach those skills some day.

What I really want to know, is what was in the little baggie (it is ok to plead the 5th)?

(hope you realize I am only kidding you)

Well good news the blade survived the heat treat. And yes I used my heat treat forge which I am still convinced that it is setup wrong. I will take more pictures of its setup later.

The main focus is this Wakizash that I just heat treated. I did a starter polish on one side to see what hamon if any had been created. So I polished on a water stone at 220 grit. And walla there she was my beautiful hamon it is a choji hamon as per the customer. I was shooting for 1/4" of sori but it gave me 3/16 of in inch give or take, and yes I know I can get more but I am afraid of ruining the blade if I try. So after the polish on the one side i did a ferric dip for about 3 minutes and then rubbed the oxides off and here it is. The hamon on the other side is very active as well.

I have a very pronounced roll back at the kissaki. This blade is fantastic and I arely toot my own horn, but no pings or warps, well a little near the tang but fixable.

Here are the pictures

SD531251.jpg

SD531252.jpg

SD531257.jpg

SD531262.jpg

Please feel free to comment on this blade.