Need help on Hot-dip galvanizing

Hello gentlemen,

I know this is not a knife-related topic (so feel free to delete this, sir Don), but I'm just hoping someone here might know anything about Hot-dip galvanizing.

Is it simple enough to be done at my small shop/forge?

Are the equipment simple enough to be fabricated?

Are zinc fumes a safety issue here? I mean as blade-smiths, we do not burn galvanized steel. But from a bit of searching,

860 °F of molten zinc doesn't sound good to me.

I need to know how to do this on small pieces of forged pole equipment.

Thank you so much,

-shinobi

i wouldn't do it..... zinc fumes can simply kill you if your not careful and the cost of the safety equipment you would need to protect your self would be more than sending it off to have done i would think.

But thats just me.

~~DJ

I see your in the Phillipines and that might be a problem, as far as availibility. But, for small stuff like that I would just look up a contractor that will do small. Up here I have had a lot of Hot Dip done and seen it done, its pretty involved and as stated above its not very healthy.

Have you thought about Powdercoating?

I don't know what Philippine availability would be, but at my local hardware store they sell a zinc-based primer, that's spray-on, for cold galvanizing. For small jobs you need to do custom, I'd recommend looking for something like that. I've also found that heating the metal a bit, so that the primer bonds quicker and dries fast, helps... not even a black heat, but maybe 200-300 degrees F.

I guess you guys are right about availability here in the Philippines. We do have zinc suppliers, but unfortunately, they will only sell in large volumes, so they probably won't listen to a small time customer like me.

And since there are kids around the house and neighbors close by, it will surely be a health hazard.

My best bet is to go to a galvanizing plant and have them hot dipped.

Thanks for the replies.

-shinobi

You can also electro-galvanize but it is not as good of a protection as hot dipping.