Sign in to follow this  
Philip West

Anyone still weld in a...........

Coal forge? I have a nice diamondback two burner that welds great but it seems like I cant break myself from welding in my coal forge..I guess its what I am used too...

I saw another smith weld in a coal forge not too long ago.

Edited by Mike Sheffield

i first learnt to forge and forge weld in a charcoal forge .. and i still have a large box of charcoal and an old charcoal burning forge sitting in the corner.

i mostly use my gas forges when im forging normal day to day stuff ...

but i have found that there are just some things that i cant help but go back to my old setup for ...

more out of tradition rather than anything else.

:)

sometimes its just nice to relive past memories .. and gawd knows the smell of burning charcoal triggers some fun memories for me. :)

I would do more coal forging but live in a neighborhood now. They find the smell of my waste oil forge less offensive than coal coking off :D

I forge-weld in an old portable coal forge all the time, I welded the bit for this axe in it, too:

bearded_7_v.JPG

Love the smell of coal smoke :lol:

.. and gawd knows the smell of burning charcoal triggers some fun memories for me. :)

Oh ho you ain't kiddin' :D .

I don't own a gas forge. If I've welded it and posted it here, it was done in a coal forge, with the exception of that big honkin' sword a while back. The initial billet for that was done in gas with a press, but once it was worked down to barstock all subsequent forging on it was done in coal.

I like gas okay, but the open fire and smoke just does it for me. I feel kind of like it's the difference between cooking in a fireplace versus cooking on an electric stove. No offense to the gas forge folks at all, and it doesn't make me feel superior or anything, it's just what I like. :)

I'm quite new to the forging scene, and I can't weld with any consistancy in charcoal. I've made charcoal from oak, hickory, maple, and walnut. I think that the problem is not the fuel source, but the "smith" using it. seem to do little more than burn the steel and weld a couple of spots in it. There are far too many inclusions and unwelded sections when i use solid fuels. I've build a few gas forges and have had much better success. My next forge that I'm currently building is going to be a hybrid propane and diesel/keroene fueled forge. I don;t know how well it will work, but i have a heck of a time keeping the propane tanks from freezing. As the temps get colder and colder in Minnesota, I imagine I'll have more and more problems with the tanks freezing. The kerosene/diesel might work better for me.

I still love my coal, Just built a brick side daft forge this past summer, 17x17 fire pot. NO problem welding in it.

My forge has been charcoal all along. I get a huge amount of heat from making coals from scrap pine lumber.

I made it from 35-40 soft fire bricks and a cinder block foundation. Forced air comes up thru the bottom.

TuesdayStart.jpg

i learned how to weld in a coal forge and continued welding in my shop when i had one in coal charcoal and gass

I weld (and do everything else) in my coke forge because I am too stupid and lazy to build a gas forge.

Tracy- Firstly, how do you keep your forge fed (i.e. where does the fuel go in)? Secondly, I'm sure it is an effect of perspective and the similarity in texture and colour, but it looks like you have a very spooky pair of tongs on the right of your forge! It looks like they have one prehensile nib!