Sharpening a chainsaw the hard way.....

Kerrystagmer

When is a saw not a saw? When it is transmuted into a sword!

Let the Zombies beware!

6 long chainsaw blades

l_b534e80f50424f89bbac122eb45b62e5.jpg

Bundled for forging...

l_98d6025dcfc644269c4dd7146bf2c8a0.jpg

l_704f803dbc6a425faf0b66f39f7b8c14.jpg

Here is glimpse of the long curved blade.

l_bea0441519df4307b2fc2f2e6674beb0.jpg

l_c29c6e3eae8a4dd0a803ea3ff1d9c0fc.jpg

More to come...

That is bad ass.

Army of Darkness/ Evil Dead quotes will, no doubt, follow this blade.

Grins,

Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

WOW That is some fine forging and an awsome blade

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

That pic of the chain bundled for forging looks like a mean mace-club-sword-thing, good looking sword so far.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

I have held this sword, and it is a beast. I have no doubt how gorgeous it will be when finished. The Stagmers are cranking out some really excellent work, and I hope to acquire some of it someday.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

Kerry, that looks awesome! I can see the chain is welded to the square stock handle at the base, but how is the rest of the chain stabilized for forge welding?

-Todd

www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

Army of Darkness/ Evil Dead quotes will, no doubt, follow this blade.

Nice blade, very apocalyptic. Could someone please tell me the link to zombies, obviously I've never seen either of these movies :lol: I *have* seen Shaun of the Dead, but you need a cricket bat for that, it's a British film.

Adriaan Gerber

http://www.adriaangerberknives.com

sharp@adriaangerberknives.com

(207) 667-1307

Could someone please tell me the link to zombies, obviously I've never seen either of these movies

hows this for a slice of fried gold:

...the main character from Evil Dead - The Army of Darkness

King Ash .... hail to the king baby. ;)

988120768_87c5ce1538.jpg

personally i think this blade takes a really spiffy line to follow .. and i look forward to seeing it in its further stages.

^_^

deeDWF4.jpg

Its not really on the side. I fitted and rotated the individual sections of chain as tight as I could and very slowly hand welded the entire billet till it was fairly solid.

After hammering with the Iron Kiss to billet form I was unsatisfide with the cleanliness of the welds. I cut and restacked the bar. I wasnt trying to make it look like simply welded chain so it was drawn out to sword length and shaped.

It was a complete pain in the ass and has at least 8 hours in forging time alone. I was quite happy with the result and Matt ground the blade to shape and form. After removing a vast amount of steel we had a massive blade with the pattern showing from the very begining.

Disaster! When heat treating a huge blister arose about 1/3 way down the blade. It turned out to be very deep. I dispaired it would become a smaller blade then I had hoped. Matt ground the blade thinner and suddenly it was back in great form. The result is better then we expected and the blade is wonderful!

It was definitely a roll of the dice. Thankfully luck was with us....

I dont have a path to completion yet but it will come, or perhaps a customer will step up and point the way.

BTW Dee there is a rumor of a new movie.....

BTW Dee there is a rumor of a new movie.....

It's not a new movie, but a remake of the original. Interestingly enough, I think this is the first time I ever saw a director/producer remake his own movie. It still might not happen, but it's at least made it to the pre-production stages. See?

MacGyver is my patron saint.

"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut." -Conan of Cimmeria-

Great looking sword Kerry. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sam already remade Evil Dead. It was called Evil Dead 2.

If you haven't read Bruce Campbell's auto biography "If Chins Could Kill / Confessions of a B Movie Actor" you should it's one of the funiest books I've ever read.

"Gimmie some sugar baby"

Adlai

Klatu Baratta Necktie!

Macabee Knives

Hardcore fans of the series actually sat though Bubba Ho-Tep....

Bruce is kinda round these days, but I really hope to see Army of Darkness 2 happen. The first movie had a profound affect on a young armourer!

Interestingly my brother was in Tony Swatton's shop earlier this year and wall sections from the movie were the backdrop of his show room. Hollywood ya know...

I'll try to get better pics of it once we re-etch most likely early next week.

"sat through" Bubba Ho-Tep?! That was freaking AWESOME! Bruce as Elvis fighting off the original zombie, the Mummy! I only watched a half dozen episodes of that "Burn Notice" show and there wasn't nearly enough Bruce (and the main actor can't act).

Really nice blade, BTW. Any thoughts on how you'll finish it- handle, guard, etc? Can't wait!

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"

A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

Well I have a bud who carves ivory for a living and is trying to sell me a walrus tusk(legal papered of course). We used to colaborate on stuff where he carved a dragon from an entire tusk to mount blades. I'd say it would add about $2000 to the sword , but how cool would that be?

Currently its out of my price range to put the project together on my dime but I may show the concept around and see if anyone is interested.