My Hybrid Polishing process

John Smith

I am really getting into this whole video stuff and how I do the things that I do. So check out this lastest video segments and let me know what you guys think

Hybrid Polishing Video

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

I am really getting into this whole video stuff and how I do the things that I do. So check out this lastest video segments and let me know what you guys think

Hybrid Polishing Video

Awesome!!!! I'm going to spend some serious time reviewing your techniques.

One thing...... I kept waiting for a scream and splash of blood onto the plastic sheeting in the background :P Looked like a scene out of some horror movie.

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Enjoyed the videos. Always great to see how somebody else does stuff. (And thanks for the free plug for my videos at the end!)

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

Walter any time I have learned alot from you and it is the least that I can do for you, even if you knew you were helping me or not.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

Will That is funny as it does get spooky in there at night and the tarp shuffles with the air current LOL

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

Thanks, Those are great videos.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

Thanks Ben

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

thank you sir! I have been mounting blades for about four years and have finally decided to take the plunge into smithing and have been looking for videos on polishing techniques etc.., and now i don't feel completley lost....thank you again!

My pleasure, as i stated earlier I think I will be posting more videos on my polishing mrthods and how I actuall polish the blade and the directions that I go in, and all that other fun stuff.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

I really like your set up for sanding blades. I dont really get how effective the red iron oxide and scale are as abrasives, I would love to see where in your process you use it and how you use it. Thank you for the videos.

Well charred if you go to my website and look at the wakizashi on the front page you will notice the area above the hamon is darker. This is the nugui I was talking about it is the process of taking the mineral oil and the iron oxide and mixing them, and then using a cotton ball to rub some of it on the blade, on the softer steel this makes a nice contrast between the hard and soft steel. So it is not really an abrasive so to speak but rather something cosmetic.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

just watching the vids now .. :)

very spiffy.

Mr Smith - it still amazes me that you can just keep talking while doing everything ...

i dont think i would be able to say one word without either taking off a finger

or become so utterly shy and embarrassed with it all..

you must be a natural for this.

^_^

thanks for the vids and taking the time to get them up here for all to see.

deeDWF4.jpg

...And some of us nearly take off fingers without talking or distractions...got the band-aids to prove it :wacko:

Thanks for the vids John, it's always nice to see and compare how others approach the process. One question, do you end up with more of a sashikomi or hadori style of polish?

Thanks,

Brian K.

Brian K.

Rogue Amateur and Weekend Hobbyist

Dee my mom used to say I had the gift of gab. Yeah I have actually almost sliced my finger on numerous times from talking to friends. Except the camera is not a person so to speak, so i do not have to look at it while working.

And Brian I think I end up with more of sishikomi polish. And Brian I am with you on the finger taking off with out friends even being there. As I to have the scars to prove it.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

[Points to sword]

This you can trust