a LONG time in the works

stephanfowler

Here is something I have been looking forward to showing off for a couple years actually.

There's a bit of a story to it.

This is the very first blade I successfully quenched with Hamon. It was made to be a gift for a very special lady who I teach Okinawan Shuri-Ryu to, she has basically adopted most of the class.

All entirely handmade by me, the fittings are Wrought Iron and Copper, full Same Underwrap with purple Silk Ito and a Buffalo Horn Mekugi.

The blade is 5 inches long of W1, water quenched. The blade was made when I FIRST started making knives and was made without any power tools at all, just files, sandpaper and stones.

kc-tanto-finished1.jpg

kc-tanto-finished2.jpg

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

Great work Stephan, great hamon too.

J Anderson R

" Fools live to regret there words, wise men to regret there silence"- Will Henry

Stephan---I am like you--I think it is something to be proud of. Early knife, and good Hamon, all details are carefully taken care of. The whole piece is well done with good taste.

congrats---Now make sure your lady student gets it.GRIN.

chuck

Oooh I like it!

The metalwork is fantastic and the way the hamon crawls up the mune looks great!

If I absolutely had to find something to critique I had given a slight hourglass-shape to the handle and used some wider tsuka-ito - but I think that´s a matter of taste.

Again, a wonderful piece.

Regards,

Christoph.

I love the smell of freshly molten Borax in the morning...

That's a beautiful tanto--I'm sure she will love it! It's nice to see that a fellow Shuri-Ryu practitioner is on this board, too :P

Oooh I like it!

The metalwork is fantastic and the way the hamon crawls up the mune looks great!

If I absolutely had to find something to critique I had given a slight hourglass-shape to the handle and used some wider tsuka-ito - but I think that´s a matter of taste.

Again, a wonderful piece.

Regards,

Christoph.

She and I are both fan's of Purple so there weren't really any options as far as size, the ONLY size I ever found other than 10mm Katana size ito was this 5mm Tanto, but your right, the proportions would have been much nicer with about 7mm ito.

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

Beauitful work, well done.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

I really like this. I'm working on something similar right now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Dustin