heh heh heh...

Jziegenbein

ok, long story time,

during the summer, i was at scoutcamp for a week or two as a staff member. On one of our days off we went to a fleamarket. We saw the usual stands with crappy pakistan knives and sword thingys. :rolleyes: and then i saw a stand with a bunch of old tools in it. I rummaged through a box of old files he had wishing i had more money than $3 :C. I picked up a huge 18" smooth cut file that looked old and wasnt rusty, (i thought it was old because the tang has been forged out, not just cut) i asked the guy how much he wanted for it. more for the heck of it than anything else. he said $2 :o! i couldn't beleive it! I bought it at once.

fast forward a few months to november 15, at my birthday party (we went to a local bladesmiths house [named Jim Gardener great guy] and forged some knives) i brought the file along and wanted to forge a bowie out of it. He obliged and throughout the 4 hours or so we were there, i forged out a rough blade blank. i had him use his little giant to forge the tang, as i didn't have a forge at home and we were running out of time.

during the last couple of months i've been grinding the heck out of it. and it started to take shape. i sanded it to 220 grit over the last week or so, and today, since i fortunately got a forge for christmas. (yay! :D) i forged out the tang a bit more as it was kinda short and stubby, once i had got it nice and long and tapered, i thought "oh what the heck, why not HT it?"

so thinking that it was either 1095 or W1 i got out some thin canola oil. I heated the blade up to critical in a matter of about 30 seconds. let it soak a minute or two, and then did a edge quench. :o

i was extremely happy when i didn't hear the tell tale "ping" and knew the blade hadn't cracked. well, that happened about 30 minutes ago, and it is now tempering in the oven. :D

sorry to ramble, but i couldn't hold it in. this is the biggest blade i've made to date. bigger even than the tanto i tried to do a few weeks ago, and that didn't quite work. :C

the cutting edge is 8" and with the ricasso, is just over 9".

the steel is i think 1095 and the tang is about 6"

so that makes around 15" OAL! :o

and here's a crappy phone pic of it, right before going into the oven, i've sanded off most of the scale and decarb to make it look like real metal.

0103092104.jpg

the picture makes it look pretty disproportionate, the tang isn't as long as it looks.

i'll hopefully be able to start on the handle tomorrow afternoon. i'm thinking about using sheep horn scales that Jim gave me and a brass S guard.

Thanks for putting up with my story, and i'll keep you posted on this one. :D

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Jared, nice work and congrats on the HT success!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

thanks guys!

it did take a heck of a lot of grinding to get out the file marks, and there are still 2 or 3 little spots with file marks left on them, and the ricasso has filemarks on it.

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Looks great. Really like the overall shape. Be sure to get more pics as the process comes along.

And as a side note, if you plan to be working with more files/rasps in the future and dont want to have the teeth marks apear in the final blade just grind the teeth off before you forge, otherwise the teeth will just form cold shuts and that means lots of grinding to get them out and more of your blade material lost. Might want to throw it in the forge to aneal to make grinding go a bit quicker. Thats what I used to do with the files I used to work with so thought I would throw it out there.

Graham Fredeen

ABS Apprentice

Professional Knifemakers Association

~Fredeen Blades~

Good on ya,

Jim's a great guy, I've met him at a couple blacksmith meetings around town.

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

good news and bad news on this one.

the good news is that it did in fact harden, and when i etched it it showed a nice hamon, at least on the front 3"...

the bad news is that the hamon came to about 1/8" away from the edge for most of the blade. :C :C :C

so, i'm going to have to triple normalize and re HT this one. :mad:

here's another not quite as crappy phone pic, i tried to get the hamon, which looks great near the tip, but couldn't get it very well.

0104091942.jpg

thanks, :C

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill

ok, tried HTing it one more time with the same results. then using owen's advice, i took it higher than critical and soaked it longer. after i etched it the hamon showed up about 3/4" from the edge the whole way.

it was good enough for me, after several hours of hand sanding (heating it that hot caused a crap load of scale and decarb) and a little machine sanding.

i got it to 1000 grit satin finish. bordering on polish. i put it in the vinegar for about an hour or two, and the hamon is just visible in the right light.

i'm now starting to do a bit of work on the guard. which will be a brass S guard and a sheep horn handle

Thanks

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill