Cable Damascus hunter (in the works)

Greetings everyone, hope your new year is off to a good start.

Blade is cable damascus ( convex grind )with wrought iron guard and butt cap and a big chunk of elk antler.

This is my first narrow tang knife, as well as my first time using antler. The guard still needs to be driven on the last fraction of an inch, and the antler fits perfectly when I press it into place ( that gap wont be there ), just have to etch and glue it up. I need some ideas on how to dye the handle, what do you use? :huh: I was thinking of trying coffee, tea or shoe polish but I figured Id see what you fine people had to say. Thanks for any advice

Christmas___08_103.JPG

Edited by jrassett

Hi,

dyeing antler is nothing I know a lot about, but from what I´ve read leather-dye will do the job.

On the knife - I like the shape and finish of the blade and definitely the wrought parts.

It´s just the chunk of antler, that seems a bit too "chunky" for me. I could see that part on a big bowie or some langsax.

I haven´t been working with elk antler so I don´t know how deep you can grind it before you reach the soft core (or if there is any) but I think it would look smoother if you narrowed the antler a little towards the blade an maybe took the two bumps on the top and bottom out just before the buttcap.

I´m working on blades a little over a year, so don´t take my words too serious, it´s just what I think - I´m sure there will be more proficient makers jumping in to add some comments...

Regards,

Christoph.

The blade looks good but I have to agree that the handle is out of ballance with it. You could save the handle and guard for when you make a bigger blade or reduce the demention of the guard in all dementions and find a little narrower section of antler. Another thing that bothers me about the buttcap is the nut showing. You could drill a shallow hole wide and deep enough for the nut to fit into and then bevel the inside of the hole slightly where the allthread comes through. After tightening things all the way down cut the rod so that only about 1/8" stand proud above the buttcap and pean the end of the rod down level. Strike the rod with the peen of the hammer, use a ball peen, around the edge to make the end of the rod spread out in the hole. Grind everthing flat and the end of the rod will come close to disappearing.

Doug Lester

Nice cable welds.

Looks like a convex grind? I've heard those cut better than any other grind due to the smooth transition from the leading edge through the whole blade. Shoud be a great using knife.

In terms of aesthetics: I agree with other's comments regarding the size of the handle.

Also, the blade has curves. The handle has curves. The bolster should have curves too. The straight bolster tends to distract from the flow.

Finally, have you ever considered placing a notch at the plunge cut? I usually place a small, half-round notch at that point with a chainsaw sharpening file. It provides not only a nice visual transition between blade flat and grind, but also helps when grinding. I think it would look nice on this blade.

Cheers!

--Dave

Thanks for the advice guys, I worked down the antler a bit and it seams to fit the profile better. There was alot of pith so I could only take it down so much, and I was bound and determined to finish this blade with the materials I had on hand, so I stuck with the antler I had.

Doug, your right about the butt cap, Im gonna do it the way you suggested with the nut brazed on the inside of the cap, then peen the tang over. The cap etched out so nice I hate to take away from it by sticking an ugly nut in the middle of it, thanks

Christoph- I hadnt even thought of leather dye, that will do fine

Dave- she convex and razor sharp :D. Ive had real good results with my cable damascus, and now that I built a small press they can only get better. Looks like your havin fun with your new press, that thing is awesome!! I dont think Id ever leave my shop if that beauty was waiting there for me

Il get pics up as soon as I get the knife finished, hopefully this weekend if Im not busy playing with my press

Hey Josh,

Not bad for first attempt on the elk antler. Nice looking cable weld. The more you work with the antler the more you are going to like it. I have tried several different ways to dye the antler Fiebings leather dye works best for me. I go with light brown or dark brown and then sand a little to get some nice high lites. Be sure to post finished work. Take care, Wade

Edited by Wade Hougham

Heres an update. I found an old smaller chunk of elk antler that should work once I seal the cracks up. I went with a brass guard instead of the wrought iron and Im thinking of making up some mokume for the pommel. I etched the blade out they other day and I realy got a nice temper line. I still need to find a spacer to go between the guard and antler. Any how, I think this is a step in the right direction, the antler looks old but its got plenty of life inside.

008.JPG 009.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh that will be one cool little blade when it's finished, can't wait to see it!

I got distracted by a fighter my brother-in-law ordered from me ( pics of that later), but Im getting back to this now. Im adding a mammoth tooth with brass and black carbonfiber layers for a spacer and Im working out a brass buttcap now. Its realy coming together nicely, thanks for all the advice and critique, the wisdom was not wasted

Edited by jrassett

All finished. Guard and butt cap are junkyard brass, spacer is scrap mammoth tooth, black carbonfiber and brass. I decided I might not dye the handle, I kind of like the color that came out. Hope you enjoy

006.JPG 003__5_.JPG

005__4_.JPG

Edited by jrassett

looks realy good and very nice job on the rethinking of the design. Great knife. :D

Steve

looks realy good and very nice job on the rethinking of the design. Great knife. :D

Steve

Thanks Steve, I like it this way ALOT better

I'm a total noob, but I wanted to say it was educational for me to watch as your plans evolved on this thread. Nice finished product! You really made a lot of improvement over the original. Thanks for showing your work.

-Randy

Josh,

Your knife came out looking great. I like the fact you are leaving the antler in a natural state. It is amazing the look you can find, in antler, with a little sanding. I had an old piece that I sanded off the soft outter layer and it exposed blue streaks that you would have never known were there. You need to post this knife in Show and Tell where it will get more exposure. Again really nice work. Wade