Deadbolts as a knife material?

KPeacock

A buddy of mine in Michigan just came across a lot of about 20 or so deadbolts from a building he was working in. They re-keyed many of the doors and planned to toss the old locksets. What are your thoughts on the steel in the bolts themselves? I'm guessing I'll have to test one of them for hardenability...etc. Has anyone tried something like this in the past?

Thanks,

Kris

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

There was a good article in Blade magazine titled 'Unlocking the Secrets of Mystery Steel'. If you have a good amount of it, it might be worth trying out a small piece.

If I was going to make a good deadbolt I'd use one of the 61xx steels. I wouldn't make blades out of it though. Some factory blades use stuff like that.

Most of your mass produced deadbolts are not a suitable steel, I think. At best maybe case hardened, usually chrome plated, etc.. I've drilled and ground on enought of em to not get excited about it. They're relying on the thickness and substance of the bolt and it's geometry in realtion to the strike in the jamb to give your security, not so much the ability to bend or break it.

Doesn't mean yours couldn't be good steel, but probably not worth more than the time to do a spark test.

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

Dan,

Thanks for the input. My buddy said the spark test wasn't very exciting :-/

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

heh, guess I should clarify that my work with deadbolts is because I do many things in my job, including locksmithing. Didn't want anybody to think I was a criminal element..... :lol:

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel