Show your forge

Simon Attwood

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where everyone shows their forge

(and an opportunity to show/remind people of mine :lol: )

The first one I made I went a bit over board on :lol:

forge-burners-1.jpg

DSCF0976.JPG

a bit too big to move around with and although it had 2 very big burners, due to the internal cavity, it never really got hot enough, was OK for forging and HT, but used a lot of fuel and took a while to get up to heat. It was made from the body of an 18kg propane tank. Total length was 26", internal dia 12".

For my second forge I went completely the other way and made it out of a 6" piece of tube;

DSCF1071.JPG

DSCF1093.JPG

This was extremely fuel efficient and took no time to get up to heat and was easily capable of reaching welding temps. Not to mention very portable. I took it to a hammerin and it's popularity ended up in some requests to make forges for people.

I had a supply of 8" tube, so simplified the design a bit and fabricated the new forges out of the 8" pipe;

DSCF2164.JPG

This turned out the best of both worlds as it still had the portability and economy, but with a bit more space in the cavity

IMAGE_340-1.jpg

Show me yours?

"When our eyes see our hands doing the work of our hearts, the circle of Creation is completed inside us, the doors of our souls fly open and love steps forth to heal everything in sight."  Michael Bridge

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you get your large diam pipe?

I got mine from a local construction company that specializes in installing water supply networks. All of the Ductile Iron Pipe they use has 1/2" wall thicknesses and can be easily found in diameters ranging from 4" to 12". I was on site doing a building inspection for them and noticed all of these pieces of pipe ranging from 1' to 3' in length. they were cut off ends of pipe from various projects. they weld 1/2" plate to the ends and use them as jack stands when working on excavators. The shop foreman told me I could take as many of them as I wanted. My supposition is that a case of beer would easily get you the pipe you need.

good luck

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

Hmmm....

I have several propane tanks ranging from 20 lb to 100 lb ( for other projects inclufing a foundry furnace ), but was looking for something a little larger ( like 24 inch ) to make a BBQ & smoker.

I'll definetly keep the source in mind though - thanks.

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.

Where do you get your large diam pipe?

They're offcuts from the offcut pile at work :lol:

"When our eyes see our hands doing the work of our hearts, the circle of Creation is completed inside us, the doors of our souls fly open and love steps forth to heal everything in sight."  Michael Bridge

Here's a photo of my ChileForge plus a better photo of it from the Chileforge website.

I've had it for about six weeks and I love it. SO much better than the old farrier's forge I had.

--Dave

Cayenne3.jpg

newforge.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

I made this one per the wonderful instructions on Mr. Fogg's site, with some help on the blower from Mr. Ellis.

I love this forge!

This has been bugging me for a while now and I haven't been able to figure it out from the pictures: with this style of forge, what supports the blade inside the forge, does it just hang in the air or is there something that it rests on?

nice pictures :lol:

Adriaan Gerber

http://www.adriaangerberknives.com

sharp@adriaangerberknives.com

(207) 667-1307

Jeroen, i think i like your's the best. do you have a longer fire pit for hardening longer pieces, or do you stroke the work through?

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Jeroen, i think i like your's the best. do you have a longer fire pit for hardening longer pieces, or do you stroke the work through?
I've only hardened one longer piece, and made a long pit for that. It had a long tuyerre running along the bottom with holes in it. Moving the piece through the charcoal takes a bit of force, so it's easy to bend the piece. Therefore I rather not move it.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

This has been bugging me for a while now and I haven't been able to figure it out from the pictures: with this style of forge, what supports the blade inside the forge, does it just hang in the air or is there something that it rests on?

nice pictures :lol:

Yes, kind of. Usually you would make a support on the outside to hold, or rest your bar on. If'n the blade is to small I guess you hold it with tongs.

Tony G

My first forge was only slightly better than Jeroen's lol:

DSCF6148.jpg

Here's the updated version I use now! Simply installed the above in a clapped out gas grill shell lol. Pulling the lid down over it onto a stop certainly keeps the sparks down!

DSCF6569.jpg

DSCF6570.jpg

And a video of it in all its fury!!

I've been considering modifying some of our ductile iron pipe scraps into a gas forge...good to know it will work =).

Cris

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast, fast is deadly... Erik R.

http://www.facebook.com/scorpionforge

Simple, yet highly effective:

forge.jpg

Your forge appears to have an IV drip, Michael

These are a few photo's if my forge setup. One single burner and one double burner for damascus, each set up with T-rex burners. Wes

knivesandshop085.jpg

knivesandshop086.jpg

knivesandshop084.jpg

Tomorrow the shell of my new forge will be ready to get fired for the first time, and hopefully I can work out what is going on with my burner so I can fire it up and take pictures. The burner is giving a really choppy burn and puts itself out, I have messed with it enough for one day, I'll pick this duel up again tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to post pics of my new welding forge!

This is my forge it burns charcoal one side is bottom blast , the right is a long tube still . Used fire brick and 55 gallon barrel cut in half and on on top.

Picture003.jpg

Edited by james G.

The small one is made from a freon bottle. I use a sidearm burner in this one. Made the big one from a 7 gallon air tank. It's powered with a Darren Ellis design forced air burner. This picture was taken right after I finished it. I replaced the duct tape holding the blower on with PVC plumbing fittings to mate the blower to the burner. Worked fine with the duct tape though

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

I like your adjustable rest on the freon tank forge, ken

"it looks like you are dripping? something into it. Veg or or waste cooking oil.Mike"-- Yep, either one has been working good, a little too good really, I need a more controlable valve. I just added that part a couple days ago to supplement the coal when it's smoldering out and im running low. I used it to normalize and quench a little dagger I made and it just about gets TOO hot.

(Dagger came out very nicely, no cracks or warps!)

Edited by Michael Pyron