New KMG - Lessons learned on setup

Shane Harvey

My KMG arrived on Tuesday. It proved to be built in a top notch fashion just as I'd been told. It is an impressive piece of equipment and putting the grinder together was very straight forward. The only issues I had with it were with the electrical part of the build.

Here are my lessons learned for those who may be thinking of buying their own KMG:

This KMG has a KBAC switch and a 1.5 horse power Leeson motor.

1. The KMG did not ship with an electrical plug. If you're going with 110 volt pickup an old extension cord that you can cut the female end off or pick up a male plug. While the grinder came with a power cord it had neither a 110 or 220 male plug...so you'll need one.

2. The wires from the Leeson motor are not long enough to allow you to mount the KBAC switch on the included arm...they won't reach. You'll need to have 3 pieces of wire about 8-12 inches long to extend the reach so you can run from the motor to the switch.

3. The motor did not ship with a wiring diagram. If you're getting the Leeson you can find those here: http://www.leeson.com/. Unless you're an electrical genius you'll need it.

4. Make sure jumper 1 is set to your appropriate voltage. I'm on 110 and the KBAC came set to 220 as a default.

5. Make sure jumper 2 is set to your motor horse power. Mine is a 1.5 which is setting two...the KBAC came set to one.

If you have the male electrical plug, the three wires and the wiring diagram in hand you can have your KMG built in about an hour or two.

KMG.jpg

Shane Harvey

Edited by Shane Harvey

another lesson;

If you're making your own, when you send drawings to the laser cutters, make sure that it is very clear which side of the base plate needs to be countersunk or you will be building a left handed linisher !!!!!!

"When our eyes see our hands doing the work of our hearts, the circle of Creation is completed inside us, the doors of our souls fly open and love steps forth to heal everything in sight."  Michael Bridge

Laser Cutters?

So thats what I did wrong, I cut and drilled all my own holes, made a hell of a mess!

Perks of the job ;)

"When our eyes see our hands doing the work of our hearts, the circle of Creation is completed inside us, the doors of our souls fly open and love steps forth to heal everything in sight."  Michael Bridge