Ferric

Christopher Price

So I picked up a bottle of Radio Shack PCB Etchant Solution, with Ferric Chloride. Is this what we consider "pure" and must be cut with water for an effective etch? I must admit my only experience has been with stuff others have already mixed up, so I'm curious how I should approach this.

Thanks.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

From Cronite

Ferric Chloride, Engraver's Grade - A dark, caramel colored acid used for etching various metals. Available in 30° and 42°Baumé densities. Recommended for use in etching machinery of all types, but can be brushed on by hand with an acid brush. The acid will stain skin a brownish-yellow color, but it does not seem to affect it in any other way with incidental contact.

Ferric Chloride is the by-product of hydrochloric acid pickling of iron usually being descaled in a steel mill. It is usually important that there are no silicone additives used as anti-foams in the acid. It is possible to reclaim Ferric Chloride, but for the engraver, we recommend only virgin engraver's grade acid.

30°Baumé Ferric Chloride effectively etches brass, zinc or copper. Predominantly used for etching copper when using the powderless etching or self-banking method.

42°Baumé Ferric Chloride is used for etching steel.

The best bet is to mix up a small amount and try it to see what is most effective for what you want to do.

Don Fogg

What works for me is to use one bottle of the Radio Shack stuff and then refill the bottle four times with distilled water to get a 4:1 ratio. Then again, Harley uses it straight from the bottle.

Looking at the label, there's no reference to what "Baumé" it is, though it does list the ingredients as: Water, Ferric Chloride, Ferrous Chloride, and Hydrochloric Acid.

As always, trial and error are important. I just don't wanna screw up a knife I have in front of me or be too inefficient because I didn't do it right the first time.

I'll probably mix up some 4:1 in a glass, and try a little straight, on a test piece before I go bonkers on the blade.

The Tidewater Forge

i actually cut it almost 8:1 because I like the look of several light etches vs. a single hard etch

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

So I picked up a bottle of Radio Shack PCB Etchant Solution, with Ferric Chloride. Is this what we consider "pure" and must be cut with water for an effective etch? I must admit my only experience has been with stuff others have already mixed up, so I'm curious how I should approach this.

Thanks.

I'm suprised you found it there. I was under the impression that RadioShack stopped selling it. I've called all of the local stores as well as computer parts places and nobody carries it. i had to buy it in solid form from a medical supply company. i have no idea what they inted it to be used for, but I had to sign some chemical release forms.

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

If you find it at Radio Shack then it is an old bottle (not a problem) as they haven't restocked it in some time.

One reason I've found for cutting it is that if you are etching damascus, the full strength has a tendency to etch both steels where a 3/4:1 solution won't etch the second steel as much giving a better contrast. I haven't tried cutting with alcohol.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

The funny thing was, that I wasn't looking for it. I was there to buy some other stuff, and saw the bottle. Not the old yellow ones I've heard of, but a new bottle.

Alan, I used the heat trick when etching wrought on that hunting knife I did a while back, worked very well. The rest of the responses all make sense, thanks everybody.

The Tidewater Forge

Chris,

A lot of variation in both mixing proportions and etching tecnique. From reading and asking knife makers 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4, FeCl3 to distilled water is common. Folks etch for 10-15 min. one time, to 1 minute at a time for 3-20 times. I adopted a formula from Dennis ??? on KN of 1-FeCl3 to 1-white vinegar to 2-distilled water and multiple short etches. I usually etch 1 min., tooth brush off the loose oxides in water and repeat to depth wanted. Some times I boil in water after etching... theory being it sets the oxides... got this last and the tooth brush from Wayne Goddard specifically for etching cable knives.

I feel like the etch I use, weak-ish with another acid in it, and multiple short times makes a very crisp, clear etch. It's fussy, but it's pretty.

Mike

100_2284.jpg

Chris,

A lot of variation in both mixing proportions and etching tecnique. From reading and asking knife makers 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4, FeCl3 to distilled water is common. Folks etch for 10-15 min. one time, to 1 minute at a time for 3-20 times. I adopted a formula from Dennis ??? on KN of 1-FeCl3 to 1-white vinegar to 2-distilled water and multiple short etches. I usually etch 1 min., tooth brush off the loose oxides in water and repeat to depth wanted. Some times I boil in water after etching... theory being it sets the oxides... got this last and the tooth brush from Wayne Goddard specifically for etching cable knives.

I feel like the etch I use, weak-ish with another acid in it, and multiple short times makes a very crisp, clear etch. It's fussy, but it's pretty.

Mike

How long do you boil it for?

I checked with one Radio Shack and they said that it wasn't available. Drove about five miles to another and the salesman said that he could get all I wanted. I just need to give him a little notice so that he can get it with a regular order. He said that to order it special he would have to pay a hazerdous product fee. Apparently it just depends on the store. By the way, I think they still list it as Archer Etch. I mix one bottle with three bottles of water.

Dale

How long do you boil it for?

Boil for a couple of minutes is what Wayne Goddard told me. That is what a person doing rust bluing would do to set oxides on a firearm part. I just don't know if damascus etch oxides and rust blue oxides are, or react, the same.

Mike

I got three bottles from Radio Shack. I checked one and they said that they couldn't get it. Checked another about 5 miles away and the guy said that he could get all I wanted. He said that he couldn't special order it because of hazerdous material fees but would order it in with his regular orders. I think they still list it as Archer Etchant. I mix it as one bottle to two bottles of water.

Dale