Help deciding on a PID controller

Willman

I’ve finally decided to set up a thermocouple for my HT forge. I just want to be able to tell the temp for now, but would like to hook up a solenoid valve at a later date. Will this work?

auberins.com

thanks all,

mike willman

“If I have seen a little farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”-Isaac Newton

That's an excellent deal on a good controller. I have no experience with that brand, but it is a great deal. An Omega, new, is going to be at least twice as much $ for the same features.

I have never found a use for ramping in the controllers I have. There are other ways to anneal simple steels we use in forging practice, that work just as well and take less time than what the books say.

I have one from Auberins, works fine. I got some SSR's from them that burned out too quickly, got new ones from Omega.

Only thing I have ever wished for is number buttons to just plug in the temp you want. I built an oven to use for a couple of different things, and having to sit there and hold the down arrow button for several minutes to change temperature isn't fun.

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

Hmm, holding down the button does sound annoying. Maybe I’ll put a small wood clamp on it to change temp.

“If I have seen a little farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”-Isaac Newton

I have one from Auberins, works fine. I got some SSR's from them that burned out too quickly, got new ones from Omega.

Dan,

I've heard recommendations for having an SSR heat sink. It has something to do with the use but I didn't understand the reference. Would that be something causing your SSR failures? The threads were on BF and Stacy Apelt was the main one talking about the heat sinks.

Mike

The SSR is an electronic switch. It is different than a dry contact in a relay. ALL electronic devices eminate heat of some kind due to the fact that thet are not 100% effecient and use some power internally to do whatever it is that they do. That heat has to go somewhere or it will build up in the device and shorten the life of it. A dry contact in a relay or switch or whatever uses no power at all, so it produces no heat and needs no heat sink. The relay or switch is not 100% either but its inefeciencies are somewhere else.

SSR'r are built with a flat back specifically for a heat sink. A simple C shaped piece of sheet metal about 3"x9" will do fine for most applications although bigger is better. Use a dab of heat transfer grease on the back of the SSR to ficilitate thermal transfer and hake sure there is some air circulation about the heat sink.

Coulda been a heat issue with mine but it only lasted a couple of cycles of use in the oven. I'm able to physically put my finger on these components while running and didn't notice excessive heat. I chalked it up to a lemon SSR, which happens.

I'll go look at Stacey's info though...

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I need a little more help with this. What do you all use for a power supply?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Willman