either anvil worth it?

Jziegenbein

i'm currently hitting a peice of RR track and looking at craigslist i saw a few anvils that i think are good quality.

this vulcan one

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/grd/992317055.html

or this samson made at mousehole forge

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/981228191.html

i think the vulcan one is about $3 per pound and the samson is closer to $2 per pound, and is a little heavier (only 4 pounds) but isn't as good of condition, quite.

which one is better for a poor highschool kid with little money? or are either of them much better than the other?

Thanks Jared :D

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

I'd rather work on the Samson, even though it is a little rough around the edges, literally. With a bit of cleanup work, it could be nice looking again, and it is likely a better anvil. I'd let a tool collector get the Vulcan. But that is just my opinion. Either is worth the $ he is asking.

well the mouse ... probably has a steel face and wrought iron body... i've got several PW's that are like that ...and they are great !

thought the vulcan was a cast steel anvil... ... thought they were good aswell... cept i don't know anyone with one..?

looks like the vulcan has a nicer face... but its hard to tell with the other pic's being fuzzy

Greg

ps... see if you can talk to those guys... tell them abit about what you want to do... some times if folks get to know you a little bit ... they may have some other stuff to add in..... like a leg vise and tongs... if your lucky

Edited by Greg Thomas Obach

Well, the Vulcan is gone already. Hope it's not too late to tell you not to buy it! :ph34r: The other one will be twice the anvil. Vulcans are cast iron with a steel face that is subject to suddenly parting company with the body, sort of a lower-grade Fisher. The only advantage they have is that they don't ring.

That said, either of them would be far better than a chunk of rail.

yeah, i noticed the vulcan was gone this morning. and i emailed the guy with the samson anvil, is $220 a good deal for it, it's $1.83 per pound at that price.

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill