sharpening question

Mayne

Hi,

I'm getting close to finishing my second knife build, a small skinner, and I'm not getting the edge I think I should. I'm sharpening to about a 20deg angle with a gatco kit I bought quite a few years ago, and I still can't get it to shave hair off the back of my arm. The blade is sharp, but not as sharp as it should be.

Thank you for your time,

Mayne

What kind of steel (some just don't get sharp)? Did you do the heat treat and if so what procedure did you follow? Have you gotten shaving sharp with this system before? I'm not familiar with that kit but could the abrasive be worn or clogged or something? Are you getting a burr? There may be more questions these are just off the top of my head.

ron

Having watched government for some time, it has become obvious that our government is no longer for the people. If the current trend continues, it won't be long untill armed rebellion is required.

What kind of steel (some just don't get sharp)? Did you do the heat treat and if so what procedure did you follow? Have you gotten shaving sharp with this system before? I'm not familiar with that kit but could the abrasive be worn or clogged or something? Are you getting a burr? There may be more questions these are just off the top of my head.

ron

Sorry if I was vague. I'm using 1080 heat treated just passed non magnetic and then differentially quenched in peanut oil. I'm getting a burr, and to be honest I've not gotten any of the bought knives I own as sharp as I'd like too with it. I guess I'm wondering if I'm doing something amiss.

Thank you again for your time.

Mayne

Sorry if I was vague. I'm using 1080 heat treated just passed non magnetic and then differentially quenched in peanut oil. I'm getting a burr, and to be honest I've not gotten any of the bought knives I own as sharp as I'd like too with it. I guess I'm wondering if I'm doing something amiss.

Mayne

Sharpening to that angle will likely not get you a shaving edge. You should try something in the 15° range. In addition, do you have a shaving strop? or even a decent leather belt? you can use the leather to effectively polish the edge to get that last bit of sharpness. This has worked well for me on my knives. I began using this method after I started using a straight razor to shave. The difference it makes is quite noticable.

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

Sharpening to that angle will likely not get you a shaving edge. You should try something in the 15° range. In addition, do you have a shaving strop? or even a decent leather belt? you can use the leather to effectively polish the edge to get that last bit of sharpness. This has worked well for me on my knives. I began using this method after I started using a straight razor to shave. The difference it makes is quite noticable.

Thanks I'll give both of those suggestions a try, I have an old belt I can abuse. I'll try this after I finish my scales.

Thanks again, and I'll post on how that works out.

Mayne

Once the blade has been honed on the finest-grit stone, I get terrifyingly sharp edges using a paper strop. Take a hardwood scrap, about 1 1/2" or 2" wide and 2 ' long and glue a piece of cork strip to it, then wrap and tape drawing paper to the assembly. Rub some Flit or Simichrome abrasive onto the paper and strop the blade on it. The results can be scary.

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

I've had a gatco sharpener for many years now, and even though I've learned to do it freehand I still use it on occasion to set up the secondary bevel. I'd suggest the 18 degree slot, it makes a good general purpose edge....for a dedicated skinner you could go finer. Take it down to a burr with the rough stone, then go to the next finer stone and repeat. I like to finish them off with a stropping. It should shave hairs at this point.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Let's assume the heat treat work correctly. Since if you have trouble with boughten knives, that likely indicates some flaw in technique. It would be much easier to diagnose a problem with technique in person compared to online. Don't get discouraged keep posting what you try and the results in as much detail as you can and we should be able to get you there.

It is possible to get a shaving edge at 20 degrees, but I won't say it's easy.

You will vastly improve your results with a strop of some sort. It allows you to remove the burr and depending on the strop may align the edge.

Using finer grit abrasives will give you a finer edge (useful for shaving less useful for other things.

If the abrasive is fairly coarse you can get better results if you use some form of metal polish on the strop or leather belt.

ron

Having watched government for some time, it has become obvious that our government is no longer for the people. If the current trend continues, it won't be long untill armed rebellion is required.

Well, I got the knife to shave hairs! Okay now I'm hooked and want to make everything in the house sharp. Anyway, I re did the secondary bevel to the 15 deg mark on the Gatco jig thingy I have, and stropped it on an old leather belt I have, and walla! Sharp. I'm intrigued by the paper strop method mentioned above, and I'm going to try that, as I can't help but tinker around with new things. I don't know how well the blade will hold an edge, I have to cut some rope and find out. Thank you for all the helpful tips, I came away learning something from each one.

Mayne

Edited by Mayne