Can you tell what it is yet?

wouldn't it be alright to turn this wheel w/in a .005" tolerance just buy turning the dia, parting from the parent stock leaving maybe .125" excess, drill and bore the centerhole, face off one end, facing off the other end to finish thickness, all the while using nonferrous shims to keep the jaws from marring it ??? is this the best way?

I'm not sure I follow you Ty?

it started off as a 92mm off cut from a 6 inch (153mm give or take) round bar, turned down to 150mm diameter x 75mm width, so there wasn't much parent stock to begin with

yah i shouldn't have said that let me reword it

turn down to diameter leaving .125" excess length, drill and bore, face off one end, face off the other end to final length using nonferrous shims in the jaws to keep from marring it

yah i shouldn't have said that let me reword it

turn down to diameter leaving .125" excess length, drill and bore, face off one end, face off the other end to final length using nonferrous shims in the jaws to keep from marring it

Well to be honest, I've no idea how they did it because I wasn't watching. I just sent it out with a drawing and a load of other bits and it came back all pristine and shiney

I dunno Pete, I don't see a broach slot for the drive, idler wheel maybe?

Forgot to mention, there is no broach slot (I assume you meant keyway slot?) because the shaft and wheel are interference fit;

the shaft is 25mm, the hole in the wheel 24.95mm (0.05mm smaller) the wheel was shoved in the oven and the shaft in the freezer and the 2 parts assembled (I'd read about it on nother forum), that wheel isn't going anywhere in a hurry now!

Forgot to mention, there is no broach slot (I assume you meant keyway slot?) because the shaft and wheel are interference fit;

the shaft is 25mm, the hole in the wheel 24.95mm (0.05mm smaller) the wheel was shoved in the oven and the shaft in the freezer and the 2 parts assembled (I'd read about it on nother forum), that wheel isn't going anywhere in a hurry now!

That explains everything I was curious about. Thanks Simon. Show us pictures when the whole unit is up an running....

For anyone that's interested, I've uploaded plans on to my "Sky Drive"

available as full AutoCAD (2000) [GRINDER]

or as adobe pdf [ASSEMBLY] [PARTS]

available for download here (hopefully, if I've got it right);

http://cid-86d4e3ba13ce0d0c.skydrive.live....px/.Public?uc=3

Let me know if it's not working and I'll try and figure out what I've done wrong

Edited by Simon Attwood

I should be receiving delivery of a few more parts next week :D

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

a nice clean bit of water jet cutting ;)

• 1 month later...
Simon, if that's aluminum, I hope it's not going in a rolling mill...

Hmmm, Now that you come to mention it, Mike <_<

this has been floating around my office for a while now!

IMG_0308.jpg

80mm Width 150mm Diameter in EN8 steel, nice big linear bearings and a 30mm shaft

once the grinder is done, see if you can guess the next project :blink:

If you can get 3 hp, get it.

Looks like it might get 4 horsies!! :rolleyes:

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311-1.jpg

3 Phase/3 KW

just need the inverter/speed controller now

Damn & Blast

my cunning plan foiled!

The motor is a freebie, practically new and pulled off a job. Trouble is I can't get a an inverter/speed controller bigger than 2.2kw.

• 1 month later...

Not far to go!!

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

I just need the tool arm and a motor and some belts!!!!

Edited by Simon Attwood
Not far to go!! ... I just need the tool arm and a motor and some belts!!!!

I think it's stout enough. Do you have access to a variable frequency drive? That would solve your inverter problem and give you a variable speed grinder at the same time.

I think it's stout enough. Do you have access to a variable frequency drive? That would solve your inverter problem and give you a variable speed grinder at the same time.

Just in case it isn't stout enough, I've left an option to put an extra plate between the uprights to stiffen it further if necessary ;)

The variable frequency drives that I've seen only go up to 2.2kw, so that means the freebie 3kw/3ph motor can't be used on a 1ph supply.

So it's a 2.2kw and variable frequency drive that I'll be saving up for

IMG_0423.jpg

getting and egg normous sense of satisfaction as it comes together, just got to save up a few quid for the motor/inverter/speed controller package