Hello All

FJones

Greetings everyone, my name's Frazier. I'm a high school student from Massachusetts and very interested in bladesmithing. I've looked around here many times before, soaking up whatever knowledge I could. Now I've decided to make and account and get involved.

I'd really like to get started in bladesmithing, but have almost no money. I figure I can put together most of what I need for a mostly primitive setup. I have a 2.5 pound hammer, I could make charcoal, and throw together some stuff into a basic forge. This leaves two holes, and anvil and tongs. I'm less worried about tongs because I can find them pretty cheap on eBay. The anvil is a major problem however, because there's no way I could buy a serious blacksmithing anvil, find a piece of railroad track or any other flat piece of steel.

So again, hello all, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Frazier, there was just a thread around here about building an anvil from a square chunk of steel. I'd suspect that you have a scrap yard around somewhere. Steel is cheap at scrap prices. Scrounging is a great way to make connections for all sorts of stuff you will find useful later.

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

I agree with Mike. One can get really lucky at a scrapyard sometimes and you will more than likely make a few connections. Scrapyards often get their materials from several different sources. One day they might not have anything you're looking for while the next day it may be a variable block anvil mecca.

Mr. Jones or anyone that is close enough to me that they can come and pick them up.

I have two anvils that are sitting here doing nothing and i will let them go cheap. But they have to be picked up at my place.

Bob

Have you checked for a local chapter of ABANA? I know our clup has a shop set up and has an open forge for members at least once a week. That would also be a good source of information and learning techniques.

ron

Having watched government for some time, it has become obvious that our government is no longer for the people. If the current trend continues, it won't be long untill armed rebellion is required.

I started on a post anvil (aka stump anvil) purchased from Old World Anvils. It cost me less than $35.00 at the time. I sunk it into the end of a log and buried one end in the ground to get it to the right height. There was no rebound with this, but it works. It is a cheap way to get started.

My first "anvil" wsnothing more than some2" steel plate that I cut and welded into a stack for some localized mass. I welded this to a small section of I-beam just to give me some options to mount it. it's not impressive, but it worked fairly well. I have since lucked across an anvil, but have yet to put it to use as I've been using a mini-press to make the billet I need.

attached is a picture of this redneck anvil. Clearly it's not very aesthetically pleasing, but it is rather effective.

redneck_anvil.JPG

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

Update: Just as I hoped to, I went to the closest scrapyard I could find. Turns out it wasn't so much a scrapyard, as it was a guy who deals with scrap metal. I had a talk with him about what I was looking to do, and looking for an anvil. He agreed that a section of railroad track would serve that purpose well enough, but he had just gotten rid of a sizable portion of it. He definitely liked the idea and wanted to help, so I left him my information and he's going to let me know as soon as he gets some more track.

Mr. Jones or anyone that is close enough to me that they can come and pick them up.

I have two anvils that are sitting here doing nothing and i will let them go cheap. But they have to be picked up at my place.

Bob

What size / type of anvils are they? I have a buddy that runs camper trialers all over Canada and may well be able to stop by and pick them up. A couple of photos would be great.

Clay Walker

Ragnarok Forge

Clay Walker

Ragnarok Forge

When your a Bladesmith, Stupid Hurts