Archie Zietman

Potatos

Wullo!

I just bought 50 lbs of generic Red Potatos ($10 for 50 pounds? Heck yeah!). That's a lot of potatos. Give me as many ways you can think of off of the top of your head to cook 'em! (Potato jokes are also welcome)

Thanks,

Archie

I like mine stabbed repeatedly with a fork rubbed with olive oil then sprinkled with sea salt and baked......

No foil no cookie sheet just right there on the rack.

But thats just me

~~DJ

PS it also helps if you hit the rack with a little cookin spray first to prevent sticking

Edited by DJPratt

You can use potatoes as a quenchant for small knives! Then then you temper, you can stick the edge into the potato also to keep it cool while you torch the spine.

I prefer french fries myself though.

My family loves when I cook my "home fries" 1/3 onions chopped medium 2/3 potatoes sliced thick. Heat the pan with olive oil, garlic and half the onions, brown the onions in the frying pan, add potatoes and the rest of the onion, sea salt, ground pepper and cook over low medium heat until the potatoes soften.

Red 'taters are boiling 'taters. As long as you remember that you're good.

Beef and potato stew:

3 pounds / 1.1 Kg chunks of beef, either stew meat or preferably a chuck roast cut into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes

2 pounds / 0.9 Kg red potatoes cut into 1/2 inch / 1 cm cubes

1 pound / 0.45 Kg carrots sliced thin

whatever else you want, I recommend onion, garlic, celery, and lots of herbs.

Brown beef chunks in oil. then add beef broth to cover, simmer an hour or so or until beef seems tender, then add everything else plus one quart / .8 liter tomato juice and simmer another hour or so. Serve in a bowl with crusty bread on the side and gloat.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm picking up another 50lbs of baking taters tomorrow morning first thing, so now baked potato recipes are up too. (My dorm room is starting to look like a pantry, what with the canned goods, spices hanging from the ceiling, sacks of flour and potatoes, all of which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy).

Huh, I'd never thought to pop it in the window to stimulate growth, I usually just pop a few in a box o' dirt in the window and that's fine, though it's quite slow to start. Great tip, thanks! I'll try it.

you can also stick toothpicks around the perimeter of the tater so its held up out of the glass and there is clear space underneath for the roots.

we just had potatoes last night in fact..

it was hot and i was too lazy to make potato curry :)

we had:

microwave until soft ... cut in halves ..

scoop out the insides ..

mash and add whatever spices you like ..

personally i added a couple of finely chopped red chillis, salt, pepper, parsley and fennel.

then add in equal parts of your fav cheese (grated).. mash again and put everything back into the empty potato husks and sprinkle a little bit of cheese over the top ..

then grill until cheese is melted and the potato filling warmed ..

done. :)

Dee, up here we call those "twice baked potatoes" of course using a microwave makes them twice nuked :P I was eating some nuked potatoes when this thread first popped up, kinda funny to me at the time.

i call them food .. tehehe ..

but thanks for the heads up .. now i know what to order when i come over for a knife show or two .. ;)

on second thoughts who am i kidding .. i think i would have to get used to the phrase "bread and water please"

:D

We like to grate up a few with a course grater then rince them off add olive oil and your fav. spices and bake in the oven in a shallow dish

until the top is golden brown and serve with canned tomatoes :rolleyes:

Dee in Canada we call those potatoe boats :lol:

Bob

Elk Camp Potatoes:

1 very large skillet and 1 small one

5 Big Idaho russets sliced and fried with a little oil and salt and pepper add 1 large Walla Walla sweet onion chopped when potatoes are halfway cooked

when potatoes are just about done add to the pan:

1 lb bacon cooked and cut in bite size pieces

1 lb link susage cooked and cut in halves

1 dozen eggs cracked over the top of everything, when eggs are cooked it's ready to serve

Tabasco and whatever else you like with it

I suggest eating this the day before the hunt because once you cook and eat it you are ready for a nap. Wade

I stir-fry with taters. =D

If I were you, I'd plant a few of them so's you'll always hace your taters.

With red potatoes I like to boil them in the skin, whole, and then as we need/want, slice ~1/4 -3/8 " thick and fry 'em up in butter or oil . The fact that they are already cooked makes it a simple chore of heating and crisping them. We call 'em home fries in my family. I keep a big tub of them in the fridge and. They are great for breakfast and burritos.

jm

Slice them about 1/8" thick and fry some bulk hamberger. Layer hambuger, potatoes in a covered cooking dish. Top off with a can of cream of mushroom and some milk. Cover and bake. You can add what you like. I like garlic and onions too. But it's quick and easy. You can use a variation using Velveta cheese and cream of chicken.

My wife makes these, they are great.

garlic mashed potatoes:

2 heads of garlis, or about 30 cloves, peeled

1 c. milk

2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered

3 tbsp. butter

salt and pepper (freshly ground is best)

Combine the garlic cloves and milk in a small saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring so it doesn't scorch. Boil the potatoes until soft, drain immediately, mash in the pot with garlic and milk, butter, salt and pepper. Serve them very hot.

Tatter soup . Boil them in water , then peel and cube.back in the pot i like some bacon for the hickory smoke flavor , some milk a can of evorparted milk . diced onion. and some cheese. fresh made corn bread btw that what for supper here.

We like to grate up a few with a course grater then rince them off add olive oil and your fav. spices and bake in the oven in a shallow dish

until the top is golden brown and serve with canned tomatoes :rolleyes:

Dee in Canada we call those potatoe boats :lol:

Bob

Same thing, but fry them (cast iron skillet of course) in olive oil. Some chopped onions and garlic in with'em can do nothing but make'm better. Use the reds for this, not the russetts.

For the reds you can also boil, rough mash with skins on with fav spices, form into patties and fry them in olive oil.

Taters are good, fried taters are even more better. :rolleyes: <--- feel free to quote this.

-Todd

Down here we call Dee and Robert's potatoes "twice baked." Because it's fancy ;)

The size of the tater usually dictates what I'll do with them, but the usual bake/mash/throw in stew are all good. The Mrs is fond of baking or boiling then cubing and making hash- fry in a skillet with some form of meat. It's ok but it's really easy to burn the edges of the taters, which I don't usually like.

I like shepherd's pie: bottom layer is veggies, then the layer of meat (just use whatever you have- hamburger, pot roast, whatever), add whatever gravy you might have, then the layer of mashed potatoes. The better the taters, the better the pie- try the garlic mashed recipe above. Bake it until warm in the middle, taking care to not burn the potatoes. Then I'll pile cheese on top and the dish that I used to bake it determines how it gets served. Cast iron is awesome for this. If you don't have a lot of meat, mushrooms can give a similar texture. I'm sure there's an "official" recipe out there but I've never had shepherd's pie that's the same from one place to the next.

The wife and I had steaks at a place in St Mary, MT (just outside the eastern entrance to Glacier Nat'l Park). The garnish the big-as-the-plate steaks with a single, small potato. They bake, cut off the ends, place on the plate and then pour a little bacon ranch dressing on top. So, you should try your taters with a big-ol slab of meat (yeah, I know, college life doesn't usually lend itself to extravagances like that).

Oh yeah, hash browns. Peel, boil then rough grate and add spice. Form patties and skillet fry.

Ok, I'm done. :) Enjoy the taters.

I like 'em just about all of the ways posted so far :lol: . I've done "Twice Baked Dinner Parties", bake up enough for everyone until about 3/4 done, cut in half and scoop out, mash up with a basic butter and sour cream. Before the party prep up bowls of: Green onion, chopped tomato, chopped olives, avocado, chopped bacon, two or three kinds of cheese (a nice aggressive blue is my favorite), plus some hard cheese for topping. Then let everyone make their own mix, Put them under the broiler to crisp up the top. Twice bakers for 100!

I also have an old family recipe called Bubal Kugal (those of you with a linguistic bent will notice the Germanic influence). This comes from an archive of recipes passed down from my Great Aunt Sara to my Mom, to me, and now to you.

BULBA KUGAL

Grind raw potatoes to a fine consistency in a food grinder. I use the peanut butter setting. (A food processor will not grind it fine enough to release the liquids and the texture will be wrong.)

Drain the ground potatoes in a sieve. Collect the dripping in a pan, drain off the liquid and add the potato starch back in with the ground potatoes.

For each pound of potatoes mix in:

2 T. Chicken Fat

1 Egg

pepper

Grease pans with chicken fat (schmaltz, see Gribnitz). Use only glass or ceramic cookware. Do not use metal pans, as the cakes will not crisp correctly. Grandma Rose recommended individual serving Pyrex cups. This gives a high crust to filling ratio.

Bake covered for 30 minutes at 375º, uncover and cook for an additional 30 minutes. They should be a good, crispy brown.

We found that they can then be frozen. They reheat best in a standard oven, the microwave tends to make them mushy.

Marci’s family were Lithuanian Catholics, their recipe is the same except that they add 1 T. prepared mustard to the potato mix. The cakes can be fried or baked and are served with mustard.

This recipe goes under several names.

BULBA KUGAL: Potato Cakes

BUBA KUGAL: Grandma Cakes

BUBEE KUGAL: Grandma Cakes

Geoff also remembers hearing them called BUBUL KUGAL, for which we can not find a translation.

Just a note or two, Marci was my first Wife, lost to cancer. Grama Rose was my Moms mother. Schmaltz is rendered chicken fat, flavored with onion. No Jewish kitchen is complete without a schmaltz jar in the fridge. Olive oil works if you don't have schmaltz, but you need some finely chopped onion in the potatoes.

Ooooh, and Latkes, with apple sauce and sour cream. Lunch time :lol: .

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Keyes

Geoff, I couldn't agree more about the schmaltz. My mum always has some handy. Do you know the exact translation for Kugal? Here in the NE kugal always seems to include some kind of baked noodles. Is it just yiddish for generic starch? Tonight is twice baked taters and broccoli, later this week is latkes, and when I eventually do a roast chicken I'll have the schmaltz for Bulba Kugal.