Homemade hydraulic press how!?

Zoltan Csaszi

I'm also curious about this subject. I've operated hydraulic-based equipment for years, but I know next to nothing about how the individual parts work (how are pumps categorized, what kind of ratings do hoses carry, etc). Can anyone recommend a good website or book on the subject? Specifically, I'd love a "baby's first hydraulic system" type of explanation.

MacGyver is my patron saint.

"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut." -Conan of Cimmeria-

I've been gathering pieces and parts for a while to make a nasty log splitter. same basic principles involved. If you research homemade log splitters you'll see everything you need on how to plumb the system. the only real differences are a gasoline engine instead of an electric motor, and of cours the ram would likely be vertical in a press, and typically horisontal for many of teh wood splitters out there.

Northern Tool and Equipment (www.northerntool.com) has all of the components you'll need to make the hydraulic system. If you scrounge around you can get parts free/cheap. I've spent absolutely nothing in getting mine together. I have the pump, ram, motor, valve, and some various hoses. All I need is the beam, and I need to weld up the framework and fluid tank. If you want it fast, it'll cost money. if you're in no hurry, you can nab parts when the opportunity presents itself.

Another option for knife making is the "mini-press" as detailed in a sticky thread. I have recently made one of these and I'm amazed at how well it works.

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

If you look at the top of the Tools and Tool Making header there is a pinned thread on exactly how to do this. I read thru all of it and it tells how to make a mini air over hydraulic press. You can upsize it if you want more tonnage of force. Another option is to buy the Harbor Freight 20 ton air over hydraulic press and make some minor changes to the system. Add in an anvil and ram and some dies and you are in business for around $300 total. Read thru the thread it covers this subject very thoroughly.

Clay

Ragnarok Forge

Clay Walker

Ragnarok Forge

When your a Bladesmith, Stupid Hurts

• 3 weeks later...

I think the closest thing you'll find to an affordable power unit/cylinder is a log splitter.

The other option is the air powered 20 ton bottle jack press. I haven't been able to find a power unit + cylinder with the kind of speed and power I'm looking for that I can actually afford. $1500 is about as low as it gets, unless I go rip one off a bucket loader down at the quarry...