Benefits of a motor speed controller?

I'm weighing up the options and budget for my KMG type clone regarding it's power supply

I'd like to hear people's opinions on a speed controlled motor as opposed to a simple drive with stepped pulleys

so far the speed controlled option is coming out over 3 times as expensive for a 3hp motor than using a step pulley

£100 ($150) versus £375 ($550)

How vital and useful is it to be able to control the speed?

How often do people use their speed control variability or do you 99% of the time just turn it on at full power?

what specific use and benefits does an infinitely controllable speed have?

thanks in advance :unsure:

Is this one grinder to do everything with, or one of several to do specific things with ? Speed control is very nice with only one machine to do everything. Changing the belt position with step pulleys is not that difficult either.

I like the speed controller equipped grinders I have. But they are "nice to have", and not "need" to have. My kids use the speed control more than I do on the rough grinder. They aren't quite courageous enough for full tilt at this point. (which is all right). :)

Is this one grinder to do everything with, or one of several to do specific things with ? Speed control is very nice with only one machine to do everything. Changing the belt position with step pulleys is not that difficult either.

I like the speed controller equipped grinders I have. But they are "nice to have", and not "need" to have. My kids use the speed control more than I do on the rough grinder. They aren't quite courageous enough for full tilt at this point. (which is all right). :)

Thanks for the reply, Howard.

I've got a decent 1" belt sander for the delicate and detail stuff, but other than that, this one is to do everything else. I'd like the option of the speed controller, but i'm just not sure how much i'd use it, and if I did pay out for it, I'd be a bit annoyed if later on i find that 99% of the time, I'm just using it on full power.

I can imagine that changing the step pulley would take seconds anyway, but the speed controllers I've been looking at are adjustable down to 1rpm. Just don't want to go to the expense and find I don't use it.

I have two grinders with speed control. One of them is a three hp hogger that runs pretty fast. I almost never use the speed control on that one, leaving it full speed almost all the time. My kids always turn it down, but they will get over that eventually. The other one is a DC powered machine that I do all the finish grinding with. It gets used at reduced speed quite a lot, but it is nothing that could not have been just as easily accomplished with step pulleys and a belt, as it runs vibration free at only two speeds, and gets used there all the time. I might have had a hell of a time figuring out what the vibration fee speeds were to begin with, without the speed controller though.

It's nice, but not necessary. But it's really nice, sometimes. :)

I bought my grinder with the rpm controller and at the beginning I didn't use it very much. For most rough works I still use the maximum speed. Anyway I found the controller extremely useful when I have to use fine grit belts (from 220) for finishing or sharpening hardened steel. With the controller I can wet the belt, let it run slow and use it to sharpen all the carving tools and knife with fine edge that otherwise overheats pretty easily. It's also much easier to sharpen small tools like drill bits.

Simon,

Something else to consider. With the speed controller, you can dial it down, and grind wood. I use mine to rough out handles and then finish them by hand, it sure makes things go much faster. I think my handles are better for it because, I can get a nice contoured shape so much easier.

~Bruce~

Simon,

Something else to consider. With the speed controller, you can dial it down, and grind wood. I use mine to rough out handles and then finish them by hand, it sure makes things go much faster. I think my handles are better for it because, I can get a nice contoured shape so much easier.

~Bruce~

Hi Bruce,

I find that my 1" belt sander is better for handles because most of my handles tend to be quite curvey and I've already got a big disc sander for the flat stuff.

This yew handle took me about 20 minutes to profile.

DSCF2474.jpg

The Force is telling me to go for the speed controller, but my heart and brain and wallet are fighting it :wacko:

i had the same debate and ended up getting it. now i could live with out it but i wouldn't want to.......

the soft start on the motor is nice and being able to use about any grit belt i can imagine is amazing!

Go for it you wont regret it!!

~~DJ