Sign in to follow this  
Raymond Richard

A fighter I be working on

I still have to epoxy the handle but other than removing the ring nut this knife is complete. I guess it could also use an edge but I'll wait on that till after the sheath is made. This one has a 14" blade forged out of Aldo's plane old 1084. Its got a pretty decent hamon but its acting camera shy. The fittings are iron and the handle is curly hickory. Overall its a fuzz over 20".

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

This is a really nice knife. I hope to make stuff in this style some day. May or may not reach your level, though. I may try and steal and imitate that guard style. I like it, simple and complex.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

That's so pretty it made my heart skip a beat! That's exactly the kind of thing I think of when I hear "belt knife" in reference to a fighting blade. Love the iron fittings with it, as well

Dang, Ray!

That knife could do all kinds of things "long distance"!

Awesome knife Ray, the handle shape reminds me of a rifle stock with the butt having an interior curve. Nice touch!

Peter

You know I like 'em pointy, Ray! That one looks like you could filet a salmon from across the table. ;)

Well done very graceful.

Damn Ray, that looks a whole lot better than when I gave it to you!

Aldo

Here's what it looks like finished.

IMG_1064.JPG

NOW THAT'S WHAT I NEED WHEN I'M PIG HUNTING. WHAT A GREAT KNIFE!!

Ray, would you mind if I "borrow" your design for a personal knife? Some of our pigs are up around 400 and that is the size knife I need for "finish work".

Mine won't I assure you, be anything remotely as nice, and I'd get you to make me one, but can't afford that so if possible, I'd like to use your design.

Edited by Ray Hammond

gorgeous, wonderful knife.

That is a stunning blade Ray! I love the iron fittings, they really make it looks special.

Keep up the great work.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I NEED WHEN I'M PIG HUNTING. WHAT A GREAT KNIFE!!

Ray, would you mind if I "borrow" your design for a personal knife? Some of our pigs are up around 400 and that is the size knife I need for "finish work".

Mine won't I assure you, be anything remotely as nice, and I'd get you to make me one, but can't afford that so if possible, I'd like to use your design.

Have at it. I actually designed this knife for the harvesting of frog's. :rolleyes:

Have at it. I actually designed this knife for the harvesting of frog's. :rolleyes:

DAMN, Ray, y'all must have some hellacious frogs in Oregon! :ph34r:

you must have had someone turn some of those Hercules Frogs loose in your neck of the woods, Raymond!!!!

If that's what you use to stick frogs, I'd LOVE to see the pig stickers you must use up there!

Amphibians or Frenchmen? :lol: Either way thats a heck of a frog knife.

Amphibians or Frenchmen? :lol: Either way thats a heck of a frog knife.

Mr Richards, your work is beautiful. A couple of years ago you impressded us in Regina with your forging ability, but your talents when the fire goes out are even more inspirering.

Mr Richards, your work is beautiful. A couple of years ago you impressded us in Regina with your forging ability, but your talents when the fire goes out are even more inspirering.

Hey Cliff, Thanks for the kind words! I told Jim I'd be willing to do another round with you fellows in Regina.

Here's a look at a short sword I just finished forging today. Actually this froging knife was the inspiration for this blade. This one has a 19 1/2" long blade. I would go longer but I'd need to retool. Overall its 23 1/2" and I hope it will fit in the oven. My plan is to go with similar fittings and handle.

IMG_1070.JPG

Hey Cliff, Thanks for the kind words! I told Jim I'd be willing to do another round with you fellows in Regina.

Here's a look at a short sword I just finished forging today. Actually this froging knife was the inspiration for this blade. This one has a 19 1/2" long blade. I would go longer but I'd need to retool. Overall its 23 1/2" and I hope it will fit in the oven. My plan is to go with similar fittings and handle.

That'll be a long liver slicer. Just keeping it staight thro the whole process would be a challenge. Another rendevous in Regina sounds good to me. I'd even travel back there & cook the roast beef & beans. I left Sask & moved to Manitoba about a year & a half ago. I still remain a member of the guild but I sure miss the monthly get togethers with the other knife makers.

That'll be a long liver slicer. Just keeping it staight thro the whole process would be a challenge. Another rendevous in Regina sounds good to me. I'd even travel back there & cook the roast beef & beans. I left Sask & moved to Manitoba about a year & a half ago. I still remain a member of the guild but I sure miss the monthly get togethers with the other knife makers.

I was able to get that big blade in the oven. I ran an anneal cycle for most the day and then did a quick profile grind and except for one spot it came out pretty straight. My back has been a problem today but if its better tomorrow who knows I could get it heat treated.

I really enjoyed the fellows in Regina. I thought you were the one that did the cooking. Thats was a fine meal! Cal is always getting hold of me and Jim continues to send spam. :mellow: I've got two shows back to back this spring. Maybe I can put a bug in someone's ear and maybe come back next year.

That's a wicked blade Ray. I'm sorry I missed it before. Your work is an inspiration to many. I can't wait until I can get back to a forge and try a long sleek blade like that one.