Alan Longmire

It's that time of year...

I am posting this here since I'm guessing many of you don't read the board announcements subforum. As if you didn't know this, Don pays for the vast amount of bandwidth we use without asking much in return. If you're suddenly feeling guilty about it, let me offer a couple of ways to give something back to this site that allows us all to learn from one another:

READ THIS. NOW!!!

AND THIS.

http://www.dfoggknives.com/Donationpage.htm

Short and to the point. Send Don some cash so we can keep this forum going. I am posting this because I've learned so much here, and also because when I look at the stats I seem to be the most vocal member by far... :unsure: I'll try to keep my mouth shut for awhile and let the rest of you talk! :wacko:

If you can't afford to give anything, there is one other thing you can do: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES SO THEY DON'T TAKE UP SO MUCH SPACE! There are threads in the sticky section above most of the subforums with easy ways and free software to do this. If you don't know how after reading, don't be afraid to ask. If you can post a picture, you already have the computer skills to resize the picture.

I will be sending another donation to Don shortly, because I have become totally addicted to this place. Alone among the various web forums for makers, this one speaks to me and the way I feel about our art. And yes, it is an art, don't quibble. :lol:

Thanks for the "heads up"....Paypal sent....

if people are finding it hard to resize their pics .. they can feel free to pm me and ill either give them pointers ..

or just do it for them.

its not a hard thing to do ..

but it sure does save a lot of people a lot of time ..

and saves the forum from having to hold up to all the transfer rates.

still need to figure out how to arrange my support for this great community ..

:(

Thankyou for the reminder Alan.

Sent a small donation ( damn exchange rate ) that is in no way representitve of the amount of information I have been able to gleen from here :( . Hopefully it can be of some use to Don and the great place that he has provided for us.

thanks for posting this Alan. i've had a nagging feeling i should be doing something about this again but didn't quite get around to it, but i got payment for a knife into my paypal today, so i sent off a little 'tithe' to Don. let's all try and keep this place going, and show our appreciation to Don for giving us this great opportunity to learn and play.

Thanks for the reminder Alan,

To add the what Alan said .....I've read somewhere in here Don saying he didn't like to charge for addmitance.......and that is admirble......... but he shouldn't bear the monitary cost AND all the time spent addministerig too on his shoulders alone.......and that is a good point to bring up about the photo sizing too........ Not only does it cost more for big pic's but there are alot of us with dial-up connections that have a hard time loading........

you would have to pay BIG BUCKS to attend a University of the quality of the forum.....Are you feeling warm and fuzzy now?

you will if you contibute............ THANKS ALAN........

dick

Done. Thanks Alan... and thanks Don.

Thats a great idea Jake, whenever im done with this dagger for a fellow i'll send a portion of the proceeds here, that way the ol megan can't really say much! :lol:

Thought it was about that time, definitely time to send $$ again and well worth it!

this one speaks to me and the way I feel about our art. And yes, it is an art, don't quibble. :lol:

Very well said,

Thanks for the reminder, I will be sending some in ASAP

STephan

Those of you that bought file guides from me I sent a percentage of the funds to Don.

Thanks for the reminder, Alan.

Technical Question: If we're hyperlinking in images from another photo hosting site (Smugmug, in my case), does that actually impact Don at all? It's just an image tag in the post, referring to the other website, I wouldn't have thought that there was any impact to dfoggknives.com bandwidth.

Can anyone issue clarification? Thanks.

Thanks for the reminder I somehow managed to miss this last year so have donated for both years.

when I think of how little I get from ABS membership (nada,zip,unless you like looking at piccies of same ol, same ol) and how much I get from this place I have donated accordingly .

Chris, I would think it cuts down on the transfer as well, not to mention the storage, I've been hosting all of my pictures over at photobucket, and then throwing the tags into my posts. It's also convenient when cross posting to other forums as you don't have to upload the pics but once.

Gonna have to get some sent in myself.

Thanks Alan and thanks Don this forum is priceless! paypal sent. Scott

I had lost track of time, but an anonymous fellow donor reminded me, so BUMP! It's that time again! B)

Donation sent. Thanks for the reminder Alan. Don, thanks again for the fantastic site and all of the time and effort you put into it to keep it that way for all of us.

Dan Kaschner

Thanks for the reminder Alan. It had been too long since I had donated to the cause.

--Dave

Thank you all for the support. I haven't been able to contribute much in the way of pictures and info this past year or two, but feel like my part is to keep this place running. I am amazed by the depth of knowledge and range of work that is displayed here and I also appreciate the spirit of this community. Thank you for your contributions, it is wonderful.

Bump- I hardly get a chance to visit anymore, but when I do it's always an inspiration. Thanks Don- I hope the donation helps.

Good to see you around again, Kris! B)