K Freier

Parents

Hi I am relitivity new here but i have been forging for about 2 and a half years. i have an outside forge so i can only rely see colors for forging at night. my parents say i cant have fires while they are gone and i was wondering if you have any advice as how to convince them it is safe for me to forge while they are gone

hi well depending how old you are that would help but take them out ans let them see you at work show then you can be trusted and know what you doing failing that tell em to pull there heads in and this is 2009 not 1800 but beware if you have stuff'd up in the past your screwd

tell

It definitely depends on how old you are and if you have proven to be responsible in the past. Also, make sure that they know you have a big fire extinguisher, or someone there to help you during that time, if they are worried about the fire getting out of hand.

Move out of home !

If you cant then you should probably respect their wishes. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the fast reply i guess i just have to go with it then because they dont really trust me enough. i am really kind of ticked though because i had been forging for about half an hour before my mom made me stop. she said you can start when i am home again but an hour later when she got back it was snowing and it wouldnt want to light. now i get to wait around for another hour before i get to go to sleep <_< yea get to :angry: . another stupid rule. By the way i am fourteen.

While your units are away work on other things.Try drawing some designs up,do research,do file work,etc..Forgings only one part of the bigger picture.Dont assume its a trust issue unless you know they have reasons not to trust you.Its entirely possible their concern comes from love and not wanting to see you hurt,or theyre worried about safety stuff like fires.If its a big deal to forge while they are gone perhaps they or you know a responsible adult to oversee things.Be patient with your parents.You will gain their trust faster by being mature.For instance when your Mom says dont forge while Im gone say something like OK Mom I appreciate your concern for my safety.Do extra things around the house before your asked.Get descent grades in school and other responsible things and before you know it your parents will see the changes and may then give you more freedom.Being a teenager sucks in some ways, your told to act more mature yet you arent given the freedom to go with it so its very frustrating,but usually this comes from love and not meanness.Also, you should build something to shade you in the day so you can have more opportunities to do hot work.Thats a project that could keep you busy while they arent home.To me bladesmithing is a love affair I'll do till I physically cant so dont rush and have fun.

While your units are away work on other things.Try drawing some designs up,do research,do file work,etc..Forgings only one part of the bigger picture.Dont assume its a trust issue unless you know they have reasons not to trust you.Its entirely possible their concern comes from love and not wanting to see you hurt,or theyre worried about safety stuff like fires.If its a big deal to forge while they are gone perhaps they or you know a responsible adult to oversee things.Be patient with your parents.You will gain their trust faster by being mature.For instance when your Mom says dont forge while Im gone say something like OK Mom I appreciate your concern for my safety.Do extra things around the house before your asked.Get descent grades in school and other responsible things and before you know it your parents will see the changes and may then give you more freedom.Being a teenager sucks in some ways, your told to act more mature yet you arent given the freedom to go with it so its very frustrating,but usually this comes from love and not meanness.Also, you should build something to shade you in the day so you can have more opportunities to do hot work.Thats a project that could keep you busy while they arent home.To me bladesmithing is a love affair I'll do till I physically cant so dont rush and have fun.

Yea i understand all the things you have said and have thought of making some sort of shed but i dont really have the money fot good sorts of materials and hane almost no building experience whatsoever. unless you count roofing our cabbin.

and i do already do filing and that but my parents are always away or super busy when i want to get outside and do something.

I've been sitting here trying to figure something to say that I would have made me feel better, or at least understood, when I was 14. So far, no luck. I know that you're probably going to hate this, but we do remember what it was like when we were 14 and, believe it or not, it's not a whole lot different than it is for you. Please try to respect the fact that your parents are responsible for what you do even when they are not arround, and having survived the dumb things that they did when they were 14, they know how things can suddenly go wrong. Believe it or not, you have more freedom now than you will ever again have in your life so consider this a lesson in learning how to deal with delayed gratification. As an adult, not being able to do things when you want to do them is a daily occurance. All you can say is that life happens then it doesn't anymore.

So soon, so old. So late, so smart.

Doug Lester

It has been said that the two toughest times in a persons life is first: when they are a teenager and second: when they are the parent of a teenager.

The silver lining to this story might be that your parents care enough about you to give you boundaries, (stupid rules). If it were me I would show them that I can be trusted to obey their rules and wait for the day they feel I can handle more responsibilities.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Forge on, -Art

Consider how they are your link to the hospital if something should go wrong, even when they are home.

Even though they might feel that you are responsible enough to work around your forge when they are not home, your parent are still morally and most likely under legal responsibility for your safety, even when you are home alone - if they are gone and you work at your forge and get hurt, they are the ones that will still be held accountable for your getting hurt.

Ask your self - Do you want them to pay for a mistake you might be at fault for?

Honor your parents trust in you, show them that it is well placed, and they in turn will be willing to trust you. Don't honor their trust, and they will be less willing to trust in the future.

I am shamed to say that, I can tell you from personal expereance, that once broken, trust can never be made as strong as it would have been had it not been broken in the first place.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Forge on, -Art

Art, that's one of my favorite saying I preached to my troops when I was in the Army... I said it a bit simpler :P Integrity is what you do when noone's looking. According to my troopies I was a hard but fair NCO.

There's so many reasons why they don't want you to forge without them around. Most of it boils down to their concerns for your safety and the perceived risk of burning the house down. Prove that you're trustworthy by honoring their wishes and like others said, there's other knife related things you can do while waiting for them. I would sit down with them and ask their concerns and explain your countermeasures and controls for those risks (safety briefing :P ). That will show them you've thought through the risks and have a plan. Failing that, suck it up for a few more years and get your own place where you can forge whenever you wish.

It is good to see young people interested in hot iron. As a parent of teenagers myself, I can't say anything that will make you "win them over", because that's not how this is going to work.

What I can suggest, is that you start by taking a picture of your work area, and posting it here, so we have a better idea of what you've got. Then, I think I agree with Mr. McAhron, that it should be very easy to improve your situation with minimal investment, and we can help you with that by describing how to put up a sun shade, or relocate your forge to a better spot, or whatever.

You think the rule is "stupid" because it doesn't conform to your desires. Welcome to the world... much of it doesn't conform to mine, either, but part of growing up is to learn to do what you can, with what you have, where you are. So let's start there.

And, if you have any pictures of your work, post those up too!

You think the rule is "stupid" because it doesn't conform to your desires. Welcome to the world... much of it doesn't conform to mine, either, but part of growing up is to learn to do what you can, with what you have, where you are. So let's start there.

Words of wisdom. If only some people in the Army were fortunate enough to hear it, Christopher offers good advice. Good luck on your journey.

well ill try to do my best as i dont have access to a working cameria i have a cast iron forge about 2 feet by 4 feet i have a rail road track piece spiked into a log.

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/style_images...attach_logo.png

sorry for the bad drawing i am not too good at msPaint.

forge_setup.jpg

Your perception of what is going on here is based on your emotions, as Chris stated it is "stupid" because it is not what you want. Try to take a step back and be objective, if you can, it is a skill that will help you accomplish much more with your life. Imagine that you are the parent of a 14 year old who wants to use a forge while you are not present. What is your first objection? In 4 years I may be the parent in this situation and I can tell you now, my objection is that there is the potential for my child to be hurt badly enough that immediate care and a trip to a hospital is required. Trusting my child is not an issue here and does not enter into my decision. In fact, by allowing my child to do something that is inherently dangerous, such as blacksmithing, I am placing a great deal of trust in them. You should be thankful that your parents are allowing you to do this at all, nevermind when they are not there. That said there are some things you could do to allow you to get what you want from the situation.

First of all, do you have a relative or adult neighbor who would be willing to come over and be available while you are working? Second, research the Artist Blacksmith Association of North America. Spell it out when you search, if you search for ABANA, you will also pull up the Arab Bankers Association of North America. I kid you not, do a search for "ABANA", you'll see!

ABANA has regional chapter groups that often have monthly get togethers. They are mostly elderly people and a youngster such as yourself will receive a lot of attention and help. Help with tools, techniques and materials. If anyone is close enough to you, they would probably have no problem with you using their shop while your parents are out. Also, contact the American Bladesmith Society and ask for a current list of members, if anybody is close enough to you, they would probably be delighted to help out.

~Bruce~

just enjoy the break dude. maybe rearrange your shop or build something w/out the fire.

now that i thought about it i guess i was just bummed that instead of getting 2 and a half hours i got half an hour but its still going to be a future issue .

thanks for the advice and i am glad that you all can respond so quickly.

You show a lot of maturity in just not reacting to what we've said as just a bunch of old geezers who don't know what we're talking about and don't understand what you're talking about. You're getting there.

Doug Lester

There's going to be a time when you have a job and other responsibilities that a 1/2 hour at the forge would really be a blessing.

Hey bud, consider yourself lucky that your folks let you forge at that age to begin with. I'm 19 and just starting out. There is no way my parents would have considered letting me set up shop in the back yard at your age. Course that may be because I used to test what chemicals made what color fires... ha ha

btw copper dust makes a spectacular green flame

Edited by Cory_Allen

Oh yeah it does! Got the cops attention once during a bonfire. They thought they were going to have to deal with the "cop in the horror movie" bit. They thought we were summoning demons or something.

i'm 15, and have the same rules.

i use the time to grind or hang around here. :P

i'd definitely put some kind of roof over your forge. mines actually under my back deck, not perfect. but it keeps stuff dry down there.

i'm beatin on a RR track too. you spike it with RR spikes like i did?

Consider this, parents are sometime right and sometimes wrong. If they're wrong, they may eventually change their minds or forget about their rule. If they're right, then maybe you'll eventally learn a lesson or two. As one man said, lies don't live forever.