Anvil Shooting

Bryan Bondurant

I don't know how I missed this before but swear I never knew such a crazy thing existed. Do not try at home and talk about dangerous and against every bit of common sense I have in my hillbilly head. Still I couldn't help but smile at first and then just break out laughing when I saw this.

i think they do it at batsons every year. at least they did it last year.

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

I can't say I'd be willing to try this with my anvil, but it sure does look like some good old fashioned country fun. I wonder how many beers were consumed before someone said, "Hey Chuck, let's drag that old anvil out back and see how high we can blast it!"

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

I had a friend that use to do this for a hobby. He and his buddies would set up beer can towers and hit them with the anvil. It was one of the most amazing things to see considering what it is. LOL. I was really impressed that they could aim well enough to hit something with an anvil. But I guess that is what you get when you cross a guy from Georgia with the US Army Artillery training.

Racca

I have heard that those who celebrate life walk safely amongst the wild animals.

When they go into battle, they remain unharmed, the animals find no place to attack them

and weapons are unable to harm them.

Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Shamanic Proverb

But I guess that is what you get when you cross a guy from Georgia with the US Army Artillery training.

Racca

that has to be the funniest thing i've heard in weeks. :huh::D:lol:

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

I think the funnest part would be wearing the Army helmet. :wacko:

Edited by B Finnigan

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

Sorry but WHY????? If some one wants to do this to a perfectly good anvil why not just give the damn thing to me? I need a good anvil. If anybody knows someone who is about to do this convince them there is a poor bladesmith who could USE the tool!!!! Then bring the thing to me so I can have a real anvil.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

I second Mike's statement. I haven't heard from my buddy in awhile. Come to think of it I wonder what happened to him.......

I have heard that those who celebrate life walk safely amongst the wild animals.

When they go into battle, they remain unharmed, the animals find no place to attack them

and weapons are unable to harm them.

Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Shamanic Proverb

It does give you something to do with all of those no name, ASO. It would be a real shame to break the horn off of a nice anvil.

OTOH, there is nothing quite like seeing 200# of steel shooting into the air on a column of blackpowder smoke. :lol:

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

That's good fun indeed.

This subject came up on the french forum a couple of years ago. Ah ! it was such a scandal. Some people for and against it fought on numerous pages.

I think it ended up in a closed thread :lol:

Very emotional subject in France... I guess they are just jealous because it's forbidden.. LOL Or an anvil is close to an holy object...

Stéphane

Some one has Waaaaaay too much time on their hands. Don't let any of those people have too much beer or the next thing you know they'll be trying to run down there and catch them.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

LOL :lol: I've seen this before, nuts huh? There was a realted video that came up with a guy setting one off while he was standing beside it! Once the smoke cleared, the guy was just standing there stupified then just stumbled away confused...lucky.

Edited by Michael Pyron

Not a good way to treat an anvil - the most important tool in any blacksmith/bladesmith shop.

No fun, just a total lack of respect to the trade.

Tacol, anvils were treated as (semi)holy objects or at least as precious, nothing strange there. Think about times, when steel and iron was expensive. And then you have a huge piece of it. Not everybody could afford it. Still many can't.

Anvils are indeed holy objects, which is why, according to Colonel Tim Ryan, anvil shooter supreme, they must be sent into the heavens on occasion to receive the blessing of the gods. If they pass inspection, they are sent back to earth in one piece, ringing merrily on the way down. If they fail, they don't come back... :lol:

If it's done right there's no risk to the anvils or bystanders. Col. Tim can usually aim well enough to bring the flying anvil home within about 20 feet of the launching pad anvil. He uses a pair of 100-lb Brooks & Vaughn cast steel anvils. Two ounces of black powder will send one about 150-200 feet in the air. I've never seen one sink in as far as those in the videos, I must say!

Like many time-honored Southern traditions, it's pointless, loud, and messy, and appears dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. ;)

talk about a power hammer, if only you could get it to land on your hot steel on the anvil at the right angle.

Presto 10,000 layer weld with blow. :blink:

might need a flux shield though probably spatter some. B)

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

Like Alan said, it's pointless, loud, messy and appears to be dangerous. So are most of the sports that people spend biig money on. But is is fun.

Dale

this must be one of those long lost definitions of fun that i just havent heard of ..

:)

i guess if its your own anvil, then obviously ive no right to say what you do with it.

but i think it gets lost in translation between cultures.

ill keep mine tethered to my stump thanks.

^_^

deeDWF4.jpg

I'm with Dee. And I am from this culture. If I had an anvil...real anvil it would stay in the shop and be used only for its intended purpose. But maybe I'm just a party pooper. :D

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

talk about a power hammer, if only you could get it to land on your hot steel on the anvil at the right angle.

Presto 10,000 layer weld with blow. :blink:

There actually is such a thing as explosion welding. I don't remember the details of it, but it basically means stacking the materials together and igniting explosives on top. I've not encountered that on work yet, but I've been involved in explosive deformation of metals, also a pretty fun production method (unfortunately I wasn't there when they were blasting!).

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

National geographic had a show on explosions in the universe on TV last night......they started out with black powder and two Heybuddens...I think I have a foot in each side of this subject

Dick

I'm torn- very very torn.

One side of my brain is saying that this is why a redneck's last sentance is usually "Grab me a beer and come watch this s***!"

The other side is saying" Harbor Frieght has those little 5 lb bench anvils. I bet I could achieve low-Earth orbit with one of those!"

Ah, Naptime-- The Early Childhood Teacher's Best Friend

www.armourcutlery.com