Bryan Bondurant

Anvil Shooting

If I had an anvil...real anvil it would stay in the shop and be used only for its intended purpose. But maybe I'm just a party pooper. :D

Nah. B) I am not about to let anyone launch either of MY anvils, but I'm perfectly willing to watch Tim fire off his Vaughns. He's been using the same pair for at least ten years now.

And as for intended purpose, for the first couple of years I had my 100lb Columbian it rode around in the back of my Scout as ballast. :rolleyes: That was during the years I was accumulating equipment before my wife made me take a class in how to use it all. :lol:

Like many things that are misunderstood it can be summed up with, "It's a Southern Thang, y'all wouldn't understand" :P I like exciting, explosive events as long as they're planned. I have a buddy with an 8# black powder mortar he built, he shoots it during the Spring and Fall. It's really fun except trying to recover the concrete projectiles (we usually just make a half hearted attempt).

Explosive welding (according to the some show I saw) is used to join very dissimilar materials together. I think they use it to make up a lot of the armor plating in current use. Really neat to watch... and an interesting combination of skill sets. metallurgists, machinists, demolition experts. They were doing the "welding" in an old mine shaft. Supposedly the process was discovered when someone noticed that shrapnel would weld to armor.

I don't get it and I was born in the south. Most of my relatives live in the south. Y'all and yonder are words I'm quite familiar with. I don't know.

I don't get it and I was born in the south. Most of my relatives live in the south. Y'all and yonder are words I'm quite familiar with. I don't know.

But you moved away.... :lol: perhaps the cold weather affects the region of the brain that appreciates big clouds of black smoke and flame :lol:

:P

I remember stories from my youth where my mother related tales of this happening on my grandfather's farm every Fourth of July. He didn't use black powder though but rather 1/2 stick of dynamite. I used his anvil in later years and don't recall any serious damage to it.

Gary

I remember stories from my youth where my mother related tales of this happening on my grandfather's farm every Fourth of July. He didn't use black powder though but rather 1/2 stick of dynamite. I used his anvil in later years and don't recall any serious damage to it.

Gary

it was mentioned as being a July 4th tradition in Bealer's book too

just found this pic of the anvil shoot at the sba madison conference i attended in 2007. Col Tim Ryan engineered this one

PICT1345.jpg

Wow. Just wow.

I think this tops my "what America does when it's bored list" smashing past tractor pulls and just squeeking by cheese racing. Www.cheeseracing.com

I know, right? It's things like that that give my state the wrong image haha

Its a bird! its a plane! No wait... Its an Anvil??

YEE HA !!!!!!!!!

Having witnessed the event at rendezvous, I suspect that it is actually a form of high-energy musical performance. The opening percussion movement the high-pitched ring of the anvil...fading and then swelling...concluded with another percussive note. Almost Beethoven, which would account for his deafness.

Seems more like Tchaikovsky if you ask me.

1812 overture anyone?

People have been doing this for over 200 years. It doesn't break the anvil, you know.

I had a friend that use to do this for a hobby. He and his buddies would set up beer can towers and hit them with the anvil. It was one of the most amazing things to see considering what it is. LOL. I was really impressed that they could aim well enough to hit something with an anvil. But I guess that is what you get when you cross a guy from Georgia with the US Army Artillery training.

Racca

My name is Jessica Ribeiro and I am the Associate Producer for a new show for the Discovery Science Channel showcasing Anvil Shooting. We are working with the mayor of Farmington, MO to organize a competition the first week in June. Is this something your friend would be interested in?

jessicas@sharpentertainment.com

Get braced Jessica,

I would imagine you are about to get swamped with offers....wink.gif

you could also try ABANA and the Anvils Ring (Blacksmithing sites).. if you haven't already....

I'm sure a few will chime in here.... Most of them already in this postlaugh.gif....

Dick