Sign in to follow this  
dragoncutlery

How'd you get started?......

I'm new to this site and so far i love the work that i've seen from you guys but unfortunately i haven't even begun in the art of the smith. I wanted to know how you guys got started. Did you attend classes, or did you learn from someone else, or maybe you just got as much info as you could and went by trial and error. I've always been interested in this craft and want to know how to start. (on a relitively small budget :D )

If you could give me some feedback i'd greatly appreciate it.

how come no one ever wrights hi im new to smithing and have lots of money how do i get started i would like to spend less than 40,000 to start and mabe more as i get in to it i need some one wiling to live with me for sevaral months to teach me all the skilles i will need in this endevor i will pay all his travel and food expences during this time please help   just once i would like to see that as for the curent post we all started out at low cost and we have picked up stuff taken classes or learnd from some one who has had his hand in it for a wile and this forum is a good place to start i sugest reading all the old posts as you will pick up a fu things here and there just from the forum and what you still cant find some one will be more than happy to help you with you have found a grate forum and good luck in your endevers

check out the ABS site for courses in your area.

a good way to get a solid foundatin in bladesmithing is look for a blacksmith in your area that is willing to teach you how to forge(you may have to offer him money but it wil be worth it) once you've forged a couple knives, and have a bit of a feel for what it's all about think about investing in a good foundation knife making coarse.  Even if you want to make swords (thats what I do) It's still good to start out with knives.  the other thing that will help you allot is looking around the different forums, this is a great one, there is also sword forum international (lots of information can be aquired there) and CKD knife forums if smaller blades are your thing.  If you live close to a gild or ABS sponsored hammerin get over to that, you'll learn lots of stuff and get to see some cool knives to inspire you further, plus you'll get to converse with people in real time (unlike the internet).

hope that helps you out a bit.

I started pounding heated steel around 2000 after reading Wayne Goddard's "Wonders of knifemaking" and got to bladesmithing after I met Achim Wirtz and Tim Wagendorp at the BKS show at Gembloux in November 2001 after which I succeeded in building a cheap, but hot enough gas-forge to replace a pile of bricks and an insufficient burner.

Getting to see the real thing and getting some explanations gets you going much faster than working from books only.

Jan

Pardon me while I do my notorious Peter Lorre impersonation: "Oooh, I like knives!"

There: had to get that out of my system.

Actually, I do like knives, both as tools and works of art. I also like metalwork and virtually all types of skilled craftsmanship. Intellectual and aesthetic challenges are fun: that's why I do so many odd things. I call it being a Rennaissance Man. Others refer to me as that goofy Prokopp fella. I have a background in art and theatre design.

The SCA is where I actually started (Thirty years ago) making knives and swords from components, i.e.: cutler's work. Only recently have I started grinding and forgeing my own blades. To get to this point, I've devoured books, lurked and contributed to web sites like this and the various blacksmithing sites. Tai Goo offered a class locally a few years ago, so I took that. (Hi,Tai!) I read all the magazines on the field. To educate my eye, I hang out at the best cutlery shop in town: Sharp Stuff. There I get to look at and handle some really fine antique and modern items. That, I think, is the best way to know how a good knife feels.

Anyroad, that's how I got here. How about the rest of you guys and ladies?

OK, here goes...I used to be in high stakes financial deals but I kept getting really annoying phone calls from some guy named Trump that kept wanting to get advice. I chucked it all, moved to a mountain and spent $100 000 equipping my shop.

I'm still pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to banging steel so I am looking for someone who wants to earn a salary in the 6 figures to come and teach me how to use all the really neat stuff that I have bought.

How's that Dragon?

OK actually I am an arborist. I work a lot with my hands welding and wrenching on equipment and keeping things going. I just sort of drifted into making blades this past winter waiting for the snow to go away. I started out just making simple stock reduction blades for giggles and got hooked. I saw some of the work of people like Tai, Don Fogg, Tim Little and a few others and it floored me with the things that they could do with steel. I have been slowly aquiring the stuff that I need to really get going. Built a forge out of a wheel rim, then one from the drum of a washing machine.

My latest forge is a Riel type burner on propane but my wife gets antsy about me messing with explosive gasses so she wants me to get something engineered by someone else LOL. Oh well the other 2 forges work well for now...

Read lots and ask questions. The guys and girls here are the salt of the earth and more then willing to help out a newbie. Just do some research before asking questions because the answer for most questions has usually already been an answered somewhere else.

Tom thats exactly what im looking for #### ill even setal for five figurs im not that picky am i ?

Yes check out ABS site for classes and hammer in's or shows in your area. You can find bladesmiths and blacksmith groups in your area. Good luck

I joined the California Blacksmith Assoc. in 1990. Went through the basic 1 course before trying to forge a blade. Now I'm an instructor with the CBA. I recommend finding your local ABANA chapter and learn from them. You'll also get tips on tool making and forge design. Even use different types first to see what you like. They will have monthly workshops and experianced blacksmiths. It's cheap, too !!       Dennis

i was kidnaped by a band of roveing knifemakeing gypsies

at a very tender age

i was enslaved

chained to an anvil and forced to shovel coal and dig for clinker

over the years i,ve became brainwashed and now i  think i too am roveing knife makeing gypsie

so now i,m looking for kidnap victoms of my own

aarrrggghhhhh!!!!!

harley

roveing gypsie possum

I started a couple of weeks ago just by lookign on the internet for ideas and built a forge.  I got some coal and just played around with it for a week or so.  I mad my first knife a few days ago, its not that good but its a start.

I started THINKING about it back in '75 or '76 when a friend of mine showed me a Morseth blade he'd picked up, and I thought "People can do that?!  Cool, I wanna!".

It took me until the mid '80's to hook up with the NWBA, the local blacksmiths org in the Great North Wet.  I took 3 novice classes, basic tool making and the like, and a couple of knife workshops.  There are a lot more resources now, you just need to hunt around in your local area and find someone who's hitting hot steel.  Mostly they are happy to help you along.

Geoff

In the Great North Wet

For me it was Jack Andrews book "Edge of the Anvil" purchased from Atlanta Cutlery 25 years ago. It's still in print and available from SkipJack Press. Also joining a local Blacksmith Group(For me Alabama Forge Council) and Jim Batson taking me under his wing. I highly recomend John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown NC.

Good Luck

YellowHammer :)

Sign in to follow this