Sign in to follow this  
Raymond Richard

My newest project

For the last couple weeks I've been working on the longest blade I have ever made. My plan was to make a short sword but somewhere along the line the sword part got lost and I've just got a really long knife. I'm real close to completing it. I still want to do a little more hand rubbing on the side that is up in the photo and then I'll get it epoxied. The look of things won't change much except the the ring nut on the end will be gone. The blade is just over 18" long and overall its right around 24". The blade is 1084 and its got a curly maple handle. The guard was made out of a piece of iron wagon wheel and the butt is wrought iron from an old piece of agricultural equipment.

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

My plan was to make a short sword but somewhere along the line the sword part got lost and I've just got a really long knife. I'm real close to completing it.

I think its a great looking "short sword," Ray. You could argue those semantics for days ... but here is a link to a Philipino short sword video that resembles what you have there.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4465993_retirada...shortsword.html

Check it out.

I love the look though, its a fun blade! Curly maple looks really cool. It incidently looks like one I have on the "to grind" pile right now.

Edited by ETX Chartaine

Just a nice size to swing around and clear the runway i like it Ray.

Bob

Nice work Ray! I like the guard and buttcap. It would surely clear the runway.

On the money for my taste. I like the size an the overall form. Reminds me of some of my favorite simple stuff from Rob Hudson, not the fancy stuff he is known for.

Wonderful stuff! Too pretty for zombie hunting, though :P

That is a wonderful knife. The handle and diff hardening line and fittings all add well to it.

kevin

Beautiful work as always. Is it already sold, or do you think you'll have it at the Eugene show? Jim

Beautiful work as always. Is it already sold, or do you think you'll have it at the Eugene show? Jim

There's a previous customer of mine that has a strong interest in it but he'll have to wait till after the show. I'll have it in Eugene.

Hey Ray,

Now that's a knife. It is big and intimidating enough to be called whatever it wants. I love it. Wade

I'm glad to hear that Ray. I would like to se it. Are you doing a demo this year as well?

I'm glad to hear that Ray. I would like to se it. Are you doing a demo this year as well?

I gave notice before last years show that I would no longer be doing the demo because of the wear and tare on my back. Wayne Goddard is going to take it over but it will be different than previous years. My main problem came when it was time to load and unload my anvil by myself. Anyway I think there will be several demonstrations and I will be one of several involved. I'll still bring my forge but I won't be moving any anvils around. I really haven't heard much more about it.

That is a wonderful blade, congratulations, I think this one of your best knives!!

In my opinion this as a wonderful hunting sword.

that`s a `rocky mountains-short sword` -not a knife!

Hahaha :D That is a PERFECT name for this beast of a beauty!

Hahaha :D That is a PERFECT name for this beast of a beauty!

David, I don't like naming anything except for a new bull from time to time. I find president's names work good for that. Anyway thought I'd mention that I will be doing the Wolverine Knife Show in Novi, Michigan on April 25th and 26th. I have no idea how far that is from your neck of the woods. My main reason for doing it is I located who I considered to be my best friend when I served over in Nam. We are going to have a mini reunion after not seeing each other for 40 years. I'm pretty excited about that. Heck I'll even attach a picture of the two of us. I'm the one on the right. 23 years old at the time which was considered to be an old man for over there.

IMG_0995.JPG

Edited by Raymond Richard