Jesus Hernandez

Introducing F.L.O.

Wow!

Looks fantastic.

It's like an Indonesian/African/Japanese Falcata!

*Great* hamon.

very nice, did you carve the handle yourself, alot of different skills needed for this piece.

Dam, that's nice. What a wild package, thanks for sharing Jesus.

WOW!! That is REALLY NICE!!! Just one problem that I can see. How am I to get amything done if I staring at these pictures all day? :D

John

I'm just speachless. That's a really nice package :D

The blade reminds me a bit of a yataghan in the Topkapi armoury in Istanbul and the hamon makes it look like the dragon's breathing fire.

Edited by Leif S

Jesus,

This is good work!

I like how you made all components except the blade out of organic material. The way you make blade and grip meet and combine influences in style and decoration, makes for a unique piece of eclectic style. It does show restrain somehow, even though there is much flamboyant expression.

The Hamon is incredible. Very well made and well chosen.

Only thing I am not 100% sure about is the whip cord binding of the scabbard, but that is juts personal taste (I do not know what I would have chosen. Something more "silent", whatever that could have been?)

In all a wonderful combination of Pacific, Japanese and ancient European/Eurasian.

Thank you for sharing work that express such skill and inspiration!

Edited by peter johnsson

Stunning. I agree there certainly appears to be a major time investment. It was well worth the effort. Im having trouble find the right adjectives to describe it. Beautiful work Jesus.

Larry Sharp

Excellent, imaginative and inspired work!

B)

You had best be bringing that to the F&B, I would love to see that in person.

Is the apparent slight concave back in front of the break quench-induced?

Bravo!

Wow. Beautiful, love it.

Thank you every one for your comments.

This blade and its concept represents the exploration of a new venue, another step forward in the learning process and a departure from some of my old ways.

The concept developed as a result of an interest in the form and function of an antique Iberian blade, the falcata. This is my first step in the forging of this recurved blade. The curvature was forged in and then the water quench moved the tip of the blade up. I wanted a bold and striking hamon that will immediately draw attention to the blade.

The handle itself represents the exploration of a new process for me. By that I refer to carving. Although I have done some stylistic carving in handles before, I had never approached the more realistic carving of a form before. In this case, the animal form. I made three handles out of alder in order to see what I will eventually do in the final handle.

The scabbard is made of stained curly maple. I wanted the right coloring of the wood to fit the rest of the blade and that took trial and error through different chemical and pigment-based stains until I found what I was looking for. The rim of the wood was completed by (what seemed to me to be a never ending) weaving of a single thread of leather.

Everything about this project was time comsuming but I appreciated every minute I had to work on it. I found something clearer in my understanding of why I do what I do in the making of this blade.

I LOVE falcatas and that is has got to be the most be the most beautiful one ever.

plus I see a little cromagnon skull in the hamon on the first picture

Brad

...*faints* Hot DAMN that's sexy!!!!!!!

Im having trouble find the right adjectives to describe it.

How about HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

That's just incredible, Jesus, it blows me away. Wow. :blink:

You've gotta be feeling good about that one, man. B)

WOW!! Truly inspirational work. :wacko:

Peter

Now we know where you've been the last few months. That is really, realy, well done. I feel so left behind by you and the other excellent craftsmen we have here. Just imagining it in the first place must require a state of mind that I haven't achieved yet.

I'd love to hold that thing, and feel the swing. It wants to cut, doesn't it?

Hi Jesus,

There's a couple of spots that remind me of the Horsehead Nebula. Seems

appropriate considering the handle. What a beautiful piece! Congratulations

on a masterful work.

Bill