JCWalker

First hamon

This isn't finished, I need to clean up the guard area and fill some voids in the claro, but I just etched the hamon and had to share This is my first hamon and I am very proud that it turned out.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

I etched in white vinegar, is there a better way to get the hamon to show up? I clayed with kitty litter mixed with charcoal. Steel is 1080 handle is claro walnut burl.

Edited by JCWalker

Bravo!! Kitty liter LOL I guess you use what works and kitty liter is clay. The hamon is nice and if you want to make it come out more you need to polish it more and etch it more, I use Ferric Chloride to etch my blades but i have a sort of long process that i do to make my hamons pop out. Check me out on Youtube my username is smithforge I have a few videos on polishing.

Kitty litter was readily available :) Where do you get ferric chloride from?

It seems Radio Shack is carrying Ferric again...

Lovely hamon, very aggressive blade design, looks stout and swift...

That makes me want it real bad, man. Looks sturdy and effective, and the hamon looks great as it is! I don't know what ferric would do in comparison to what you have now, but it would be interesting to see.

that blade shape is great.

Thanks for the kind words :)

I didn't forge this knife it is barstock 1080, and the plunge lines and grinding was all done freehand. I will put up some better pictures after I finish the handle and the ricasso area. :rolleyes:

Guest bg7m

JCWalker, That is a very good looking knife, I hope I'm not hijacking your post, but here is one I'm working on with 1095 blade, etched with watered down ferric chloride, rub on, rub off, wash in dish washing detergent and water, hand polish with Flitz, repeat,,

post-25851-1235408296.jpg

Edited by bg7m

Congrats. Looks great! Ain't hamons fun?

Makes me want to get my old thread back up and running on show me your hamons.

you should go for it! I can't wait to try some hamons with a water quench :) Although for that I might need a better clay then kitty litter and charcoal...