Sign in to follow this  
Petr Florianek

5-6th century sax inspired by find from Belgium

Hello! I was asked by Jacques Delfosse to make him sax. after some emails we established that we will use find from Belgium as starting point. Jacques sent me this picture.

He didnt want exact replica and wanted his wepon somewhat longer

Imgp2216.jpg

I asked my friend, Patrick Barta to make blade for this one, he agreed and, what a miracle, made it in some unexpected gap between swords. The blade is made of wrought iron and shear steel, made by him. blade is about 40 cm long (16") and 4,5 cm wide. It has three grooves

P2225504mail.JPG

jacques supplied me with load of pictures of contemporary jewellery and art objects, as I am not so sure in Merowingian period as in viking. After some study I made this sketch. I will use stag antler for grip

merowingian_web.jpg

Excellent!

A magnificent blade, I can't wait to see how you hilt it.

I have never made a Seaxe before but one of these days when my Japanese craze dies maybe I will make one.

And I am loving your design and the fact that you are closely mirroring an original, that says alot to me.

brilliant start

Beautiful blade and interesting project. It seems like it will promise rich rewards in joy and challenge!

Having seen other examples of your work; I think this will be striking.

Have you considered making the grip same width as blade? Even on those really broad bladed seaxes I think the norm was that tthe grip was of same width as the blade (at the meeting of blade and grip, at least, and it seems they often kept most of this width the whole length of the grip).

I understand you are not aiming to do a replica of any particular seax, but the spirit of this project to me comes across as more historical than eclectic or modernistic.

Personally, I think it would be beautiful if you widened the grip so it is the same as the blade: wide, but rather thin towards the blade, growing in thickness, but getting slightly less wide towards the middle of the blade.

I hope you do not mind suggesting this. In no way do I mean to diminish your work.

Edited by peter johnsson

thanks peter!

I would like to make it in the same width but I can see some angle on guard on pic of original so I wantet do go this way... But I am open to ideas.

it's great!

I'didn't seen the beginning...was going to sleep! -_-

I'm yet seeing the evolution on the work from Patrick ...it's beautyful!

and I'm also very interested in the comments of you all!

Petr is doing a very great study job and I'm sure the result will be a very nice Merovingian seax!

thanks a lot, Petr! :D

I'm also waiting forward on the next steps.... :blink::blink::blink:

see you soon, folks !

to be followed.... -_-

Edited by Jacques Delfosse

I would also let know that the picture I gave to Petr was coming from our colleague and friend on this forum : Jeroen Zuiderwijk!

thanks, Jeroen!

Looking great, can't wait to see it finished. I really like this type of sax.

Thanks!

I will lay my hands on the blade next week, i will start to look for good piece of stag antler. I dont want to use elk ( moose) or ren as it is continental sax.

I also wonder (Jeroen please help!) if that type would have any kind of pommel - cap or not. I am bit confused by the guard piece...

Edited by Olddog

all right....

look perhaps at the Chilperic guard and pommel!?... VIth. Century BC

metalwork05_Chilperic_sword_sheath.jpg

Wow, that's nice! B)

I gotta get grooving, it looks like. ;)

I just can't wait to see the finished grip. Love the drawings for it. I know it's going to turn out great.

Have I missed the carving tutorial yet?

The dynosore Jaques is hiding stuff from other Belgians;

I like all your work and secially this one

verry nice

Dirk Bourguignon

no! you did not miss anything! I will make some pic from progress, I dont think you can call it tutorial, but I am planning to make tutorial about the gontlandic sheath. there is something in the air...

thanks peter!

I would like to make it in the same width but I can see some angle on guard on pic of original so I wantet do go this way... But I am open to ideas.

I saw that in the photo, but I am fairly sure what looks like a shaped curve in the guard/bolster is in fact damage.

If you look at the width of the tang, it does not really allow for such a narrowing of the grip: that tang would be exposed on the finger side.

At least, that is what it looks like to me.

I think what we see is a solid guard/bolster of iron that sits on the shoulders of the blade. One corner of the guard has rusted away, leaving a shape that looks very similar to a modern style knife guard. We are used to this shape, and so see nothing strange about it.

sounds reasonable, i was confused with the modern look, I will think!

Jacques, athanor - where there elk (moose) in merowingian period somewhere near belgium? I think tha it will be hard work to find nice piece for grip so I am widening the field :-)

they ware megaloceros (more a kind of giant elk than giant stag - founded in the Maas River Valley in the Netherlands)...perhaps yet half fossilized!?

but a lot of products from different origins ware to be find on the West European markets from this time : ivory, walrus and narwhal teeth, oosik, amber, buffalo and horse bone...and different kind of woods so as boxwood, for instance...

the merchants from my city ware going very far to the North of Europe

don't you have a kind of giant stag into the forrest of your country?

I remember that Petr Pospisil showed me big antler pieces, some years ago.

Sign in to follow this