C.Edmondson

My first knife

This is my first knife, Hand forged 5160, burl and purpleheart handle and razor sharp. I dont have a etcher yet so I'm not able to put my mark on it. I really appreciate all the help and info I found on this site. I know I have along way to go but I am getting better everyday at forging and on my Bader with grinding, again thanks to everyone espically Will Leavitt for inviting me to his house and working with me on my forging and answering a million questions, Charlie Edmondson

knives_224.JPG

knives_230.JPG

knives_229.JPG

knives_234.JPG

knives_235.JPG

Nice job on your fit and finish. I like the design of the knife also. Looks to be a good size for a hunter. Looking forward to see what you come up with next. Wade

Charlie, Nice go. Welcome to the unit, there is no escape.

One comment that I learned way back on pin placement. Take the tang and outline it in some paper. Mark your pins by placing them in the center of the tang on the paper using a compass or ruler. Now lay this over the tang and use a punch through the paper to mark pin position. Many times we get off center after grinding the handle to shape.

I draw projects out and make templates, adjust as needed. another trick is to set the balde on a copier and use this to look over angles, locations, etc.

Have fun.

Thank you guys so much for your kind comments, I appreciate the advise 3 sister forge, I will definitely put that info to work!!!!

nice. Jim, another good trick is always to check a design in the mirror; everyones left and right eyes have different levels of dominance, and by checking at every stage against a mirror, you can level this out. i have to admit, when i first looked i didn't notice the pin misalignment, and this from a man who used to spend half a day working out distance to diameter ratios on pins for full tangs. nowadays i just draw a line and drill where i feel's right.

nice. Jim, another good trick is always to check a design in the mirror; everyones left and right eyes have different levels of dominance, and by checking at every stage against a mirror, you can level this out. i have to admit, when i first looked i didn't notice the pin misalignment, and this from a man who used to spend half a day working out distance to diameter ratios on pins for full tangs. nowadays i just draw a line and drill where i feel's right.

Jake, Good stuff, I just stole a mirror from the bathroom. I try to draw and trace stuff, mistakes jump off the paper at me. My daughter is in Architecture school and is big into ratios and aspects. Learning lots. Everytime I go to this site I learn or share. Isn't it funny that so much sharing and humanity gets expressed in the art of making cutting tools that could be used for war.

Are you guys talking about the pin through the purple heart being just a touch towards the back?

Charlie, that looks great! If you've got your stencils in, you're more than welcome to come by and use my etcher. I can't wait to handle this one.

This is my first knife, Hand forged 5160, burl and purpleheart handle and razor sharp. I dont have a etcher yet so I'm not able to put my mark on it. I really appreciate all the help and info I found on this site. I know I have along way to go but I am getting better everyday at forging and on my Bader with grinding, again thanks to everyone espically Will Leavitt for inviting me to his house and working with me on my forging and answering a million questions, Charlie Edmondson

Looks great Charlie. A little advice....... If this is your first one, KEEP IT. Don't give it away or try to sell it. Find some way to mark it as your first. You will look back on it several years from now and say, "That was Number One".

Keep up the good work my friend, and I hope to see you (and Will) soon.

Robert

Yup saving it is a good idea.

Looks great =]

Welcome,

this is a great place, and it will surely shorten your learning time. These guys notice things I don't, and it helps me to develop.

that knife looks like it would work well for disassembling the average deer.

good work, keep 'em coming.

Kevin

Hi every body. I've never posted before but that is some excelent work. If you want to get more purple from your purpleheart hit it with a torch(very gently ofcourse) just til it blackens then finish sand it and oil it. When you do that it ends up like grape jolly rancher color.

Kevin

Mighty fine!! You betcha!!.

Don't worry about the minor pin alighment.

I have a friend that once built a barn with bleachers and a pipe railing----ALL WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF A MEASURING STICK.GRIN. Never noticed it, till you got in a corner.grin.

Great first

congrats

keep it!!

chuck

Charlie,

You made a big mistake... Your first knife is no supposed to look that damned good. You are off to a great start. Keep it up. I can't wait to see what the second knife looks like.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction.

Wow, that is something to be proud of. Awesome first blade!!! looking forward to seeing some more of your work.