Vertical forge plans?

I just bought parts to build a vertical forge, now I just need a design! I got 5 feet of 1 inch inswool, a 3/4 inch burner, Mizzou refractory, 5lbs and 5lbs of satanite. Now the question is how much of a diameter should my tank be? I think i want to use an old oxygen tank, or maybe propane if I can't get an oxy tank. Then I need to decide where and how to put the burner in it :)

Any have any advice? How did you all do it?

Edited by JCWalker

You should be able to weld with a 3/4 burner if you don't make the internal dimensions of the forge way too big.

The best thing I think is an old water tank. The get tossed out all the time and there's no danger of them exploding when you cut.

I have 2 layers of 1" inswool in mine; I think I could use another inch of wool. Most definitely coat all of the exposed wool with a thick coat of satanite!! 1/4 inch or more! Then coat that with the higher refractory.

I got the ellis 3/4 burner kit. Welding the forge together isn't a concern for me so I was planning on using an old CO2 tank or something similiar, the outer diameter should be 8 inches with 2 inches of inswool. is it going to be large enough to do serious damascus work? I don't want to do a sword or anything, just large bowies and smaller. I think my forge will end up like the ellis vertical forge.

there is a tutorial on Dons site. what urner did you get? a blown burner IS NOT NECCESSARY for welding. I weld routinely in a non blown forge.

Bill if you are asking me I use the fan from Indian Gerorge's tutorial. The fan he reccommends I was able to buy but I

think it is not longer available. I did add a gate to the air side though. Mine is really a Fogg/I.George hybrid.

I mounted it on three legs that will unscrew for transport. The forge openings are about chest high. No bending that way

I have pic's if need be

Tom

So.Ga.

I got the ellis 3/4 burner kit. Welding the forge together isn't a concern for me so I was planning on using an old CO2 tank or something similiar, the outer diameter should be 8 inches with 2 inches of inswool. is it going to be large enough to do serious damascus work? I don't want to do a sword or anything, just large bowies and smaller. I think my forge will end up like the ellis vertical forge.

If the INSIDE diameter is 8" and you use 2" of insawool, you will have a 4" inside diameter. If this is a vertical forge like you say, that's not very big for serious damascus work. You will only be able to heat 4 inch's of a billet before your out the back door.

Tony G

Check out the "Show your forge" thread.

I followed the plans on Don Fogg's site, with help on the burner design from Darren Ellis.

It is a great forge design, I can get a variety of temps and atmospheres.

Edited by James Joyce

I guess I need to go a little bigger with my forge then... Are old propane tanks a viable option? if I only put 1 inch around the 8 inch cylinder that leaves me 6 inchs, but is that enough insulation?

Edited by JCWalker
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit late, but...

1" is enough insulation but I use 1.5" (because that's the thickness of my wool).

I also use a 16" pipe and have made a lot of damascus with this forge in the last 9 years.

Don Hanson lll My Webpage