New to smithing

OhioDave

I have only recently become interested in bladesmithing and was wondering if there is anyone here in Vegas that I could possibly stop by the next time you are forging to get a better idea of what I need and how to get started?

I would be happy to provide refreshments or something, just looking for an ear I can chew on for a bit.

Thanks!

OhioDave:

Where in the valley are you? I am not in Las Vegas, but in the general area, Henderson actually..there are a few folks making blades here, they are more into stock removal mostly, although I do have a friend that is just starting into forging...I have neen doing it myself for a little while now...don't know much but what I know..I know...

As for getting started...all you really need is a pair of safety glasses, a heat source, a hammer and something to hammer on...files and a few more hand tools and you are set...That and the desire to learn...that's the hard part....believe me this isn't "glamourous" work...

JPH

Edited by JPH

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

• 2 months later...

Do a little browsing around the forum beginners place is a great place to find info. and ask questions.Jph is right tools needed are simple I use two pieces of railroad track for anvils.Asked some guys who were working on the track.For a forge I have a steel box with a pipe in the bottom that has holes in it .I ducttape a blow dryer to the pipe for a bellows.Cemented the box in.Burns charcoal and heats my work just fine.You should take a look at Mr. Fogg`s website.Theres a list of tool stores and advice on building your own forge.

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.