Sign in to follow this  
Clint

fighting file

hey all just finished this file bowie for a friend who shoots black powder reenactments he wanted a file knife he's gonna make the sheath out of rawhide its made out of a horse rasp file W-2 i think . i might still put a pin in the handle but didn't want to grined "or Clean the "OLD" of the handle he wanted it to look old so asked me not to mess with the antler to much .

this knife is 16" overall and has a 11" blade .if i knew what to put on the blade to look older i would .

IMGA0348.jpg

IMGA0356.jpg

IMGA0352.jpg

IMGA0358.jpg

I like it.

very nice "file Bowie" !

I like it very much...

file knives are the favorites I'm making :)

Clint,

You really did a nice job on this knife. I like your grind and the look of the rasp. In order to make it look older you could antique the blade. I do this before everything is attached. I am sure that there are ways of antiquing at this point and this is "THE FORUM" to have someone pipe in and tell us all how. Nice work. Wade

Looks great to me... I argue with the reenactors about the whole antiquing thing. The knives WEREN"T antiques then!!!! arrrrrggghhhhhh :(

I do love your knive though, looks great!

very nice blade clint i think your friend will be the envy of any rendevous he attends. as for the antiquing i agree with mr. leavitt they were not antiques at the time they were being used however they were used so imho i think he should take it out and use it a little maybe cuttin meat, that will definitly darken the blade espesially if it is done without cleaning or protecting the blade first. B)^_^

Thanks guys i have about 30 of the rasps files my horse shoe guy gives them to me when hes done with them

i'm going to ping a brass pin in it so as not to mess up the handle then do some meat cutting maybe some mustard on it

Clint nice knife :D and if that is a newer rasp they and of good quality ( not china made) it is 1095. I have piles of these rasps since I am a farrier ;) and I have personal contacted all the companies that we use today ie Simmonds, Save Edge , Heller and Diamond and a few others but my brain is not awake yet this morning I hate daylight savings :(.

POTATO--APPLE slicing.

chuck

now that's a file you won't find at mcmaster carr. sweet blade.

POTATO--APPLE slicing.

chuck

Edited by Clint

after the guy i made it for saw it he took it and wouldn't give it back and said he liked it the way it was and he would make it look old by using it ,i did ping a brass pin in the handle