B Finnigan

Our elk herd

Our herd came through tonight on our "back forty". My daughter and I grabbed the cameras and got as close to them as we could without spooking them. We counted 37 cows but no bulls. A couple weeks ago I saw six bulls in the same area. Two were five point monsters. Here on the west coast five point means on each side.

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

Brent, a smithy with a view like that, life can't get much better. Thanks for sharing your view, it makes me homesick for the GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST. Wade

Wow, thats amazing! What a beautiful place to be!

This herd has close to a 25 mile radius they migrate around in. So they only come through our place every couple months. Sometimes it's at night and the only way for me to know is when our choc lab goes on a barking frenzy. She hates elk real bad for some reason but doesn't mind the deer that are around every day.

These elk are no where as timid as the blacktail deer are. We were around 100' from them and they never stirred or showed any signs of being nervous. But at any given time at least a couple of them were always keeping an eye on us.

I have watched them with my nightvison scope several times but do not have any way to photograph them. It's alway so cool to watch my daughter's reaction to seeing them. We stalk deer on our place to get pics quite often but elk are far more rare. These are memories she will have the rest of her life. She will grow up with more knowledge and understanding of wildlife then any yuppy animals rights person ever would.

She will have a far better working knowledge of wildlife, conservation and habits then the jack-knobs that throw fake blood on people that wear fur coats.

Edited by B Finnigan

Thanks for sharing, we have a small herd here. And they came about 30' from the back of the house. I didn't get to see them though, only where they went through the freshly planted grass. It's nice to sit and watch the wildlife, it's made an impression on my kids too. That all by itself is priceless. That's really cool you could get some pictures.

Beautiful elk.

I've attached a shot my son and I got during the August rut. Not exactly in my backyard, but close. This is a Royal Tule Elk Bull. The soil is lacking in a certain mineral so the antlers are brittle and break easily during sparring behavoir. We were lucky to find one without any broken tines.

Tule Elk are the smallest subspecies of elk in North America.

Tule_Elk_email2.jpg

Brent, those things don't look any bigger than the little deer we have down here in Fl. Why not run up to one and have your daughter take a pic so we can get a sense of scale? :P

just kiddin' those are beautiful animals. BTW, I'm real pleased with my fullering tool.

As soon as I get a laptop so I can post from the hospital I will do that. That would be a real hoot, especially for my daughter.

"Dad....That abdominal evisceration is pretty cool! Can I get a picture before they haul your miserable carcass off"?

Glad it's working good. I make them to use.

Edited by B Finnigan

I started baiting my Game trail camera with butcher bones a couple weeks ago. Aside from dozens of pics of crows picking them over I managed to get a couple coyotes. I am still trying to snag a pic of the redwolf-coyote hybrid that has been running around here.

Several times I have checked the cam after the bones disappeared but there were no pics. The cam is sensitive enough to pick up chipmunks and small birds so you would think it would capture whatever has been packing off the bones.

Just checked the camera this morning after having it set up for over two weeks.

coyote1.jpg

The flash spooked him but not for long. Four minutes later he was back. Those meaty bones were too much of a temptation.

coyote2.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

wild canines are so cool. awesome game trail pics. so something snagged the bones but din get caught? definitely sasquatch. definitely. garret, those florida deer are something else. no higher than a labrador at the shoulder and half the weight.

wild canines are so cool. awesome game trail pics. so something snagged the bones but din get caught? definitely sasquatch. definitely. garret, those florida deer are something else. no higher than a labrador at the shoulder and half the weight.

I have no doubt that the first clear close bigfoot pic will be from a game trail cam. Just the camera alone would act as bait.

Even if the bones levitated away it would still trip the camera. And you can't turn it off or on without triggering a pic either. So this might be a mystery for a while.

those bones disappearing is something else. i wonder.

did you ever see that episode of twilight zone where.......

I can just see it now.

Daughter: "daddy, the elk are back!"

Father: "Looks like We're having Meathing for supper!" *loads his shotgun*

Hehehe Beautiful pictures American Brent.

~Canadian Brent.

We've taken over both country's. Soon it will be the world! MWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

What're we going to do today, Brent?

Samething we do everyday Brent... TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD! MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!