my first seax

Jziegenbein

alrighty, my friends all keep begging me to make a sword, but i know i'm not good enough to make a real sword, so i'm starting a 22" blade seax. which i think counts as a short sword.

only forged and profiled it so far.

made from an old file, it's not really all that historically accurate. the point is a little too swoopy, because i forged it out rather than clipping it. and the edge has a little belly to it. but i think it's close enough.

it's 1/4 inch at the spine beveled to about 3/16 at the edge part. it's alot of grinding, but i've got some 24 grit belts that should make fairly quick work of it.

here's a quick phone pic as it's dark out now.

0314092042.jpg

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Actually, you're pretty close...

(image from Nancy Persson

ENEGGADE SVÄRD

- från vendel och vikingatid)

Usually the tangs were centered, but not always.

It's got loads of potential. If it was me, I'd grind off the file-teeth and forge the edge on down to 1/8inch or so, just to minimize time spent grinding.

sax3.jpg

Edited by GEzell

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Actually, you're pretty close...

(image from Nancy Persson

ENEGGADE SVÄRD

- från vendel och vikingatid)

very seaxy, i like it a lot.

Practice random acts of Viking

thanks! :)

i tried to center the tang, but it wouldnt listen to me...

i probably will end up forging it more. if only to save money in belts.

Edited by Jziegenbein

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

thanks! :)

i tried to center the tang, but it wouldnt listen to me...

Well, as you see from the example posted, the original smiths also occasionally had the same problem:) What I generally do is only forge the step on the back side of the blade, hammer in the step on the edge side (using a small hammer), then bevel the edge and you get the tang more or less in the center. The transition to the tang definately is the trickiest part, also to make sure you'll have enough material there, so the edge doesn't curve back up near the hilt, or the spine getting thinner there.

But regarding the sax, that's definately one of the best historical looking blades not intended to be a historical reproduction that I've seen :)

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

It looks great.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

Hello!!

Been away a couple of days due to RPFS... Ok..I have to join in with the rest.. For what my tired old eyes can see, it looks "right in there" to me...actually you have to really "try hard" to get a Seax design that wasn't used..there are onlt so many ways you can make a blade like this...

On the point...a "clip point" wasn't always "clipped off"..if just looks that way. You can get a angular point by forging..I take it from your post that this isn;t something you have been doing very long? If so, you will see quick enough that hot working opens up a whole ne way to do things and many different tecnhques that can be appplied are now available to you.

"Seax" is a very broad and encompassing term and it covers many different styles of blade. The one you did is right in there.

Now, at your point, leaving the edge at 3/16" is probably a good idea..Will give you a little extra "meat" to play with while grinding. As you progress you will find that you will start to forge them thinner and thinner..I usually take my own forging down to about 3/32" to 1/16" or so. Any thinner and I get some rather interesting ribbon-like warping in heat treat. Now the file teeth can cause a problem in heat treating so I would suggest they get removed.

Have you figured out the heat treat yet? Being a file, it should be a higher end 10XX series steel, IF it was a GOOD file to start...Could be W-2 or a couple of other steels...I would go with a light oil quench on this if it were me...

Looks like to me you are off to a good start...Now you have the fun part over..the real work comes next...Have fun with it...

Good luck...keep at it...

JPH

(geeze..my first poeces didn't look that good..things sure have improved since I was a kid.. I am getting old...)

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

JPH, thanks for the insight on seax designs and HT help.

i've actually been making knives just over a year, but only started forging in december. so i'm still pretty new to forging, but not to grinding. As far as HT, i've used files before, and i treat them like 1095 and so far they've worked out for me.

david, thanks! it's an honor coming from you!

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Jared,

It looks like it has potential. Of course, I am not an expert, just an enthusiast.

Still, if you can grind well already, you are "in there" with this one. (I love forging - I hate grinding).

How you gonna heat treat it - i.e., what do you use? I need to think about building something to heat treat larger stuff. I just treated a 12" version of the "chopper" (like the last one, 25% larger in all directions). I need to decide on a mechanism to treat longer stuff. I hope to try things like what you are making now in about 6 or 8 months.

good work. Please keep posting so we can see it develop.

Kevin

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

kevin, i use my 2 burner forge for heating the blade before HT. It has hot spots so i just have to move it back and forth to make it heat evenly. and then i'm going to do a warm canola oil quench. and then 3 temper cycles.

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill

There you go! You just got a nice complement from Mr. Hrisoulas. Don't reforge any part. Just make sure you show us some pics after the grind. Have you decided on a handle material yet?

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

I loooove seaxes, one of my favorite blades, and you're doing an excellant job on this one! Keep up the great work Jared!

Thanks mikes!

i think i'm going to use walnut or pau rosa for the handle with wrought iron pommel and guard

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Hello!!

I was popping through my archives this AM and I found a pic of the Seax I did with the same shape grip as you are using...Hope this works. It's welded cable with a single fuller down the spine and a "T" back...(I love my flypress for doing this )

JPH

MVC_003F.JPG

Edited by JPH

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

• 4 months later...

ok.... sorry about the wait, but i've been scratching my head over how to get this stupid thing straight and how to remove material fast enough that it wouldnt take 3 days of solid grinding.

With my new aquisition of an anvil that's actually straight, i was finally able to straighten it, and a 36 grit disc on my disc/belt sander made quick work of the grinding. Then sanded it to about 100 grit, still need to get all the scratches out, and then find out how to HT this thing. I left the edge about the thickness of a nickel just to be safe.

Here are a few, slightly better, pics of it. with my new little hay budden.

0817091918b.jpg

0817091918a.jpg

0817091918.jpg

0817091917.jpg

0817091915.jpg

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Jared, looks good. Hope your in a kith with that one. i am sending the one with mono steel blade and rosewood handle. I would be happy to trade mine with yours. Keep at it man. You are doing well.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Thanks jake!

kevin, i made a different one for the kith that's a little smaller. i posted some pics of it in the kith thread

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill

You're really doing great Jared! The only thing I see that may help some is grinding the top of the tang some to give the blade a little bit of shoulder which would bring the tang down a little and really help make a nicer fit with the grip. I can't wait to see how it comes out!

thanks michael,

I'm probably going to end up doing that, just to simplify drilling the tang hole.

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill

i've chosen a couple of designs i want to carve onto the handle.

It'll have a tree of life in the center on either side. 001006celtic-tree-of-life.gif

and then some celtic sailor's knots around the bolsters which will be wrought iron. something like in the picture, but more geometrical probably.

R-CelticNoFlush.JPG

not sure what else to put on it exactly, any ideas?

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

-Sir Winston Churchill