Supposedly yes, but they're collectibles -- which means you may end up competing against collectors who're willing to pay more (maybe much more) than is justified if you only want a tool.

As has been said, they are collectable today. If you find one cheap and are looking for a user, you may be better off selling it for a profit and buying something that isn't being collected.

ron

collectible hammers? Incredible :blink: :blink:

I have an Atha hammer and is absolutely exceptional, i forge almost exclusively with that. I have found this hammer randomly in a store of military surplus I paid only 5 euro :lol: I am very happy because in Italy is impossible to find this type of hammers. I do not know how you call this type of shape, american blacksmith hammer?

IMG_0096.jpgIMG_0101.jpg

collectible hammers? Incredible :blink: :blink:

I have an Atha hammer and is absolutely exceptional, i forge almost exclusively with that. I have found this hammer randomly in a store of military surplus I paid only 5 euro :lol: I am very happy because in Italy is impossible to find this type of hammers. I do not know how you call this type of shape, american blacksmith hammer?

Yes, Americans will collect anything. :lol: The tool collectors are the worst, as they have driven up the price of the antique hand tools I like to use in woodworking. And then there are the worst of the worst, anvil collectors. :angry: I know of several who have up to a hundred anvils which they will never use or sell. :rolleyes:

That hammer pattern is called an Engineer's double-faced jack, believe it or not. Or a hand sledge, depending on whose tool catalog you go by. The American pattern blacksmith hammer is a type of cross-pein.

Yes, Americans will collect anything. :lol: The tool collectors are the worst, as they have driven up the price of the antique hand tools I like to use in woodworking. And then there are the worst of the worst, anvil collectors. :angry: I know of several who have up to a hundred anvils which they will never use or sell. :rolleyes:

That hammer pattern is called an Engineer's double-faced jack, believe it or not. Or a hand sledge, depending on whose tool catalog you go by. The American pattern blacksmith hammer is a type of cross-pein.

O/T, but recently on another board a guy posted a link to a Craigslist ad by a fella in South Carolina who was selling anvils. Turns out he's a collector who wants to trade up from some of his less desirable (collectible) pieces. The photos in the ad were enough to make you cry. The guy seems to have a small warehouse full of nothing but anvils that he has absolutely no intention of using. I guess he just sits there among them and giggles or something.

Edited by Matt Bower
:o What a shame! Edited by Michael Pyron

Oh Alan, many thanks for the lesson :lol: :lol:

This is a great hammer for me, forging is very accurate and clean than the normal hammer found in Italy.

Collectors of anvils (hundred anvils)... is absolutely incredible .... and very expensive :blink:

And very annoying... Blasted Anvil collectors...

Alright troops, form up! It's time we take back those anvils and put em to good use! Hammers and anvils forever!