JPH

I finally Figured it out!!

I am just jazzed..I FINALLY figured out how to tie that v@!^$#^$@^%T*ing knot on the end of a tsuka..So far I have figured out two styles..and believe me, I am as proud as a peacock at it.. OK I know it's no big thing to alot of folks, but to a Greco-Parsi type person like I am..the whiles of the Oriental mind are mysterious...Usually I'd do what my fellow Hellenic countryman would of done, and cut Gordian's Knot..But I strove to perservere and I done did it.. Will post pics of my accomplishment once I get a "good one" done (using spiffy ito on a really strange Japanese-esque Kogarasu style sword) later today or tommorrow if I get a chance to do it..RPFS Sucks...

Edited by JPH

Can't wait to see, Jim. Especially from one who traditionally stays away from japanese style :rolleyes:

How the heck ya been?!?

Dan

Way to go Dr. Jim...If I may call you that? I still can't figure it out.

Doctor Jim, I would suggest squinting, that's always worked to engage the Japanese half of my genetic mixture. :P

Can't wait to see, Jim. Especially from one who traditionally stays away from japanese style :rolleyes:

How the heck ya been?!?

Dan..>>>

Dan:

Well I am still alive and kicking actually...had a rather nasty firestorm hit my personal life three years ago and now I am finally seeing the end of it (somewhat)...I do regret having to resign my commission/retire early but after what I pulled during the Katrina fiasco it was let known to me I would never see a star, so with everything that was happening in my personal life, the US Gubbermint and I agreed that I have done did my duty and it was time to pass the torch...So I am back full time hammer swinging..

Now, on me and the Japanese stuff.. You are right...I am not a fan of these style of blades, but I do know a small bit about them..Just too much hype I guess.... but I am not getting any younger and I have all the notes that the late Bob Engnath and I took on hamon/yakiba techniques so I am putting all of that (and a whole lotta other stuff as well) into book IV .. Now I have been "sub contracting" the tsukamaki out to a gentleman in Phoenix, a Mr. Randy Black who does dynomite, A#1, crackerjack tsukamaki work, but I figured I could figure out how to do it myself..I got the actual wrapping down pretty good (no one told me about the little paper triangles...and after a call to Scott Slobodian I got those figured out too) all that was in the way was tying that horrible little knot....and I finally got it to work and actually look "right"...

So now I will do some more practice tyings and then it's onto my own personal "chop saki Sammy-Mary sword's" hilt...34" Kobuse blade, Kogarasu Maru style in a "bat" theme motif...tsuka length is a loooong 15" (I gots big hands..plus the leverage is great too) I have some really sexy black and gold checkered silk ito for that puppy. Been having fun in my fencing class trying to figure out a "system" that allows use of both edges...Really interesting....the back edge opens up an entire new avenue of thought for edged weapon combat with one of these. Parries area bit challenging as the Mune is so short compared to a tachi or katana..just got to work in a bit closer we are finding... Our first bokens are working OK..we are going to the 2nd generation of those once we settle on changes to the ones we are using now....

I will probably be crucified for book four like I was for the first three, but I am too old a bunny to care and this is one old dog faced soldier that will continue to march...To those that are going to take offense at the new book, all I say is they need a high colonic and sent on a 40 mile hike with full combat packs....

JPH

Edited by JPH

Glad to hear it, you on the anvil, and that you've still got your aligator skin.

Funny about Scott, I don't remember ever being aware that he uses the paper triangles (he might, dunno), but I've been using an illustration of his, for years, to tie the knot that was published in Blade Magazine a million years ago. Still refer to it today. Still not sure if I'm doing it right and I'd have to finish a sword more than once every couple of years to call it practice. When I get out of my government job in ten years, maybe I'll get to.

Now we're just going to need some pictures.......

Dan

Dan:

Re: Scottie...yeah when I talked to him and schmoozed myself a copy of his book..(I sent him a signed copy of my third one just because) he said he uses egg carton cardboard for his hishi-gami..says the thickness is just about perfect and he doesn't have to do all that folding to get the triangles.

I am really not a fan of the Japanese stuff but I owe it to Bob not to take what I know to my grave..so...the Japanese sections in book IV..

I got my bat themed sword all wrapped and boy does it look nice...I will try to get a decent photo outta my antique Sony Mavica and post it tomorrow...that black and gold ito is just groovey...far out and trippin'...Geeze I am dating myself....

Yeah I got a tough skin..Being a bird Colonel will do that...Bob ever tell you about the time I jacked up that 2nd Lt at the show out here??? He laughed until he turned blue..Stevie just went and hid someplace....

Edit: I took a photo of a tanto I did with the black/gold ito I put on my Kogarasu Maru as well...Hope this photo works...

I like the shape of a naginata for some reason, yet they give me nothing but troubles in heat treat....sigh not in swords or tantos..just when I do a naginata..must be me..I guess...Oh well...life is what it is...

JPH

MVC_013F.JPG

Edited by JPH

Hey! That is nice, the tanto. Bob'd be happy. And thanks on the egg carton pass along too. I've used cereal box cardboard, but the egg carton sounds better.

Hadn't heard that story, probably a lot of those I need to hear.

I agree on the naginata shape, though I hate cutting grooves (prolly just doing it wrong). I've had a long facination with nagimaki and will get one outa me sometime.

For me the only thing mystical about japanese style has been getting all the elements to come together at the same time. Guess I like getting frustrated.

Good stuff, Jim.

Dan

Dan:

Re: Scottie...yeah when I talked to him and schmoozed myself a copy of his book..(I sent him a signed copy of my third one just because) he said he uses egg carton cardboard for his hishi-gami..says the thickness is just about perfect and he doesn't have to do all that folding to get the triangles.

I am really not a fan of the Japanese stuff but I owe it to Bob not to take what I know to my grave..so...the Japanese sections in book IV..

I got my bat themed sword all wrapped and boy does it look nice...I will try to get a decent photo outta my antique Sony Mavica and post it tomorrow...that black and gold ito is just groovey...far out and trippin'...Geeze I am dating myself....

Yeah I got a tough skin..Being a bird Colonel will do that...Bob ever tell you about the time I jacked up that 2nd Lt at the show out here??? He laughed until he turned blue..Stevie just went and hid someplace....

Edit: I took a photo of a tanto I did with the black/gold ito I put on my Kogarasu Maru as well...Hope this photo works...

I like the shape of a naginata for some reason, yet they give me nothing but troubles in heat treat....sigh not in swords or tantos..just when I do a naginata..must be me..I guess...Oh well...life is what it is...

JPH

the crazy part that tripped me up constantly with the knot is that it's not a knot. or at least, not what I think of as a knot, it's more of a fold.....