Dog Cudgel

Stephen Renico

This is another modest do-while-watching TV project I completed during the frozen months here in Michigan.

I recently finished Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror, a book on the history of the 14th Century. I found one particularly interesting passage, describing the effects of good government under King Robert of Naples:

Under just laws and a stable currency, with security of roads, hostels for traveling merchants, festivities, tournaments, music, and poetry, Robert's reign, which ended in 1343, was said to be 'something like Paradise'. Citizens could journey unarmed through Calabria and Apulia 'except for a wooden club to defend themselves against dogs.'

Having an occasional problem with feral dogs in the Detroit area, especially in the city itself and the Rouge River basin, I found this passage intriguing and wondered what such a club might look like. Again, I used a stout branch of maple to come up with this.

Cudgel1.jpg

I soaked it for two days in a small tank of linseed oil. When I took it out and wiped it down, the oil had penetrated and the cudgel was nice and hard. Dark stain prior to soaking gave it an antique look. I added 17 notches in the haft for character and to add to the aged look.

Cudgel7.jpg

I added a spike at the butt end but thought it could use something extra.

Cudgel4.jpg

Nine brass tacks on the head gave it some more flair, as well as some effective impact points. This would make a handy feral-dog-basher, as well as a pretty good door answerer.

Cudgel3.jpg

OAL is 28"

Edited by Stephen Renico

Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who did not.

That's a nice learning stick you got there, I have one I keep in my garage.

"One who is samurai must before all things" Keep constantly in mind, by day and by night. the fact that he has to die...

-Dai Doji Yuzon-

16th Century

http://sites.google.com/site/canadianliveblade/home

that is freakin sweet! not that I'm apt to flogging people or anything, but if I were in an oldschool (gangs of newyork) style streetfight: that'd be all I'd need. all kidding aside it's very nice.

That is AWESOME! :)

Love the wood grain and color tone of the wood.

I will do my best to make one that can match this for you! haha :D

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

I'm glad you guys like this. Making these kinds of things is as fun as making knives, and a lot less work and mess.

David, I have no doubt that you'll well surpass anything I'm putting up here. :)

Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who did not.