I started thinking a simple way to build a reliable knife vise with little or no welding work as my skill in welding is orrible as you can see. :mad:

I used a base 4"x4" (10x10cm), a scaffolding joint ad tow pieces of 2" (5cm) diameter pipe. it can be easily clamped to the workbench. very simple and adjustable.

this is the result. I still have to improve the wood jaws with a piece of rubber to lock the blade an add another nut where you see the holein the first pic. but you get the overall idea.

it works great! :D

knifevise1.jpg

knifevise2.jpg

Edited by loneronin

very wel done !

and also nicer with a good Opinel !:)

Looks real handy, that's something I need to make too. Jim

thaks Jim, it is very easy to be done. all you need is a scaffolding joint and some scraps. the only improvement I can imagin is to get a different joint to use different angles but, as far as I know, the joints are orthogonal (the one I used) or sviwel but thes ones can't be locked at an angle, simply sviwe freely and are unuseful for this job.

please post some pics of your vise when you'll have done it!

B)

• 10 months later...

Brilliant design! I need to learn how to weld.

Nice vise. I built myself one very similar to that about twenty years ago(ugly as sin)and it's still g0ing strong. The only thing I might mention, is that bolt end sticking out extrodinarily far. If I were you I'd chop that end off much shorter if you can, or your gonna be inventing a few more swear words to your vocabulary and bandaids to your hands. Just a suggestion. Wes