Hi.

I didnt get chance to run douring weekend...so I run furnace today.

Resepy is different than last time.

1kg pure iron powder falkes

15g graphite chunk

1g Carbide former hot work tool steel Cr, Mo, Co, V

...And green class.

In furnace...and heavy on gas/air ;)

Furnace worked great....One minus...lid is not thight but paper seal worked ok.

It was 70min and charce was liquid...I run about 5min more and "make the kill"...

All seamed to go ok.

I lower the gas / air and let charce to solified...

Next to tooked crucible out and let it cool.

Ingot is not that smooth...and it dosent have nice dendrites like last run.

Bottom is like chees...AND douring lift ..I notiset that this grafhite chunk was floating over the class????

I was thinking that now this didnt work at all....

I spark tested ingot and it has about 1% spark...maby more??

Cheesy bottom...I think I sould run just 15 min more..

Graphite chunk...I tryed charce whit rod...maby I lift it up my self??

Leak of dendrites....too fast cooling or bit under est. C cont.??

But im happy about new furnace....Now I know it works.

Here´s pic douring run.

Pic from in side of crucible you can see the craphite chunk...left.

More...more....more...I need more practice ;)

Any comments Cheesy bottom, leak of dendrites, Graphite floathing...

Niko

Edited by Niko Hynninen
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats the way !

how did you find the iron flakes.....did they melt faster..?

try spark test with a known piece of steel beside ingot so you can compare sparks together.. that may help

sometimes i used to get a ripply surface on ingot.. i suspect in my case i was using too much glass..

this is exciting... i hope this ingot is a beautiful pattern steel

i'm sure the dendrites are there... if you grind a smoothe spot and etch.. the pattern is there

good work

G

Hi Guys.

Thank you :lol:

Dmitry

I start forging this soon as I can...First I have to cut slice off from side and see bit in side...maby those dendrites are in side :lol:

After that I some roast...and 2-3 times normal....then it gets some hammer ;)

Greg

Glass....man had way too much...Why I didint think this at all....It greates bubbles for sure.

Now I feel stubid :lol:

I grid ingot tomow and try to see if dendrites are there...I ad some pic´s too.

And Greg...I think flakes needed bit more time..but when melting started...it was fast.

Niko

Edited by Niko Hynninen

Hi Guys.

Thanks

I cut small slice of side and polish the surface....Dendrites are inside :lol:

Matrix is small but its there...I normalize small section 3 times and give it some hammer...temp +850-700 C

Its hard. About 10 cycles and I grid and polish it...it looks even bit better.

BUT....Agane there is porosity and now it looks like graphite..

Maby my running time was bit too short and temp bit too high...??

Man.. this carbon ad. gives me headache :wacko:

I post some pic tonight.

Colin

So do you mean that I run this to hot...and thats why graphite started to float??

Niko

Why not add the graphite as a powder rather than a chunk so that it distributes more evenly?

Hi

Simon

Thanks

I was worried about powder bean flying / burn away form charce..douring run.

But next run...I ad graphite powder...bottom under the iron and glass...And hope it dosent fly or burn away.

I didnt realise that chunk of graphite would be so light...and start to float...But now I know :lol:

Niko

Hi

Simon

Thanks

I was worried about powder bean flying / burn away form charce..douring run.

But next run...I ad graphite powder...bottom under the iron and glass...And hope it dosent fly or burn away.

I didnt realise that chunk of graphite would be so light...and start to float...But now I know :lol:

Niko

I used filter charcoal from a pet fish store & used a cotaing of fire cement on top of the glass, with a half firebrick on top, nothing escapes! ;)

Graphite powder is available as an additive to resins from resin suppliers (it reduces friction, say for boat hulls, etc.)

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/cgi-local/sh000001...tml%23a589#a589

also do graphite fibre strands

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/cgi-local/sh000001...tml%23a672#a672

Niko,

I would have thought that if you put the graphite powder in first and your iron chips on top then the iron will hold the powder down until it starts melting, as the whole pot starts melting, the graphite will slowly rise through the iron, hopefully impregnating it evenly ..

Hi Guys.

Simon.

Im not so sure about carbon fibres....I think they ad some thing in it...so its not realy pure form of graphite.

If I ad charce whit "bad alloys" I think its big risk to get " bad ingots" as well.

Graphite that im using now is 99,6 % pure so I think its easyer to calculate C in charce and avoid " bad stuff"

Its not big job to smash it powder, new time and see if it works.

Colin.

Now I got it... or did I :unsure:

Its was too fast...

Im trying to run whit out lid....Im able to see in side crucible and trye it whit rod when it liquid...and this way avoid run it too long.

If I used lid I think C will stay in side...but is its light it may pop in surface of glass anyway...and I dont think it will solve in iron well from there...but honestly I dont know...im just trying this method.

Why....I dont have much other choice...Charcoal ...C % Knowbody knows it 100% sure..It could be 75% - 90% or something.

Whitecast iron...We dont have that...and what I have notised C has guite big tolerance 2-3% so you cant calculate that easy.

So I think graphite is now my only chance....

But here is some pics.

Niko

Edited by Niko Hynninen

Didn't I proove that shit can happen on ANY stage of the process??? Niko... forge it into the bar, than into the blade, quench and temper it, and if it will look good - you are cool. Otherwse... continue smelting, forging and so on. B)

Hi.

Niko

Niko,

Thanks for sharing your struggle with the steel with us, your presentation of your experiments is very clear and much appreciated. I lost two small ingots in the last two weeks (furnace got too hot) but learned a tremendous amount from the experience. I have a new ingot cooling in a new style (Persian prototype) furnace tonight , the home made crucible hangs in the lid of the furnace(I am so exited, I hope I can sleep).

As soon as I get the picture sizing down I will post some photos on a new thread.

Jan

Hi.

Niko

Niko,

Thanks for sharing your struggle with the steel with us, your presentation of your experiments is very clear and much appreciated. I lost two small ingots in the last two weeks (furnace got too hot) but learned a tremendous amount from the experience. I have a new ingot cooling in a new style (Persian prototype) furnace tonight , the home made crucible hangs in the lid of the furnace(I am so exited, I hope I can sleep).

As soon as I get the picture sizing down I will post some photos on a new thread.

Jan

(I am so exited, I hope I can sleep)

Jan..I hear you ;)

Thank you.

Im happy if my work boost´s others too :lol:

After all you have given boost me too ;)

New setup....Thats cool....Cant wait to see.

Sorry about ingot lost...but just Dimitry said.....It happens...Did it turned in to cast iron?

Déjà vu...I remebered my first run... :wacko:

Niko

Edited by Niko Hynninen

On my first run I got the cast iron too Niko!!!! :lol: And I was so excited about the nice looking ingot... sure the cast iron ingots usually looks good... :rolleyes:

Yesterday I ran my new furnace prototype. It works greate but I am afraid I need to change the design right away. Or I may have problems later during the real melts. So I keep it from showing till the furnace will be in good working shape.

Jan..I hear you ;)

Thank you.

Im happy if my work boost´s others too :lol:

After all you have given boost me too ;)

New setup....Thats cool....Cant wait to see.

Sorry about ingot lost...but just Dimitry said.....It happens...Did it turned in to cast iron?

Déjà vu...I remebered my first run... :wacko:

Niko

Niko,

There is no doubt, that you are one of those lucky people who get a joy out of experimentation, or perhaps you are Don Quijote disguised as a metal worker.

Yes I suspect one was cast iron, but I do not hate cast iron. The real problem is the furnace getting too hot, I must have designed (using the Paramecium method) a furnace just right for the blower and the fuel ( the blower is a hair dryer running at 60 Volts max. having the heater element disconnected....the heater is disconnected due to the load it would otherwise put on my variac). Fuel consumption was about 1 gallon per hour....if I had four crucibles hanging I would have had four ingots for about the same amount of fuel, any way I will get the pics.

Jan

Hi Guys.

And just like Dmitry said.... :lol:

Shit hits the fan.....

I started to forge ingot, it was hard and everything looked ok.

Top of the ingot aperad small crack...sort of..First I think its decarb crust...

I grind it ...but no luck.

I end up cutting whole ingot ...and there it was.

Now I think this is becourse: - It was undercooked...also bottom bubbles maybe course of it too..

I think I have 3 options

1 I try grind the "bad undercooked" part away..

2 I remelt this...I think its 1% bit over...Ad 500g iron + needed C to make new ingot 1,5% ~

3 I just suck it up and leave it as an referense piece...

Im interested option 2...but I have "killed" steel...im not sure did it actially "kill..died" How dos Al effect if I remelt??

I can see porosity that has grafhite traped in...Undercooked...It didnt solve enough in iron

But now it back to zero...I need 2-3 new crucibles so maby I get in action soon.

In this piece matrix is small...very small...i think its becoure C is bit too low...But its steel :lol:

Some pics.

[

What you guys think?

Niko

Edited by Niko Hynninen

I'd keep at it......give the steel no break...... forge it out and cut out the parts that can be salvaged... and make little knives...

not all ingots will be a shamshir... but some good enough for knives...........others are good for nothing...

but i'd give it some hell... ;) ;)