looking to buy my first set of tongs. wondering if there is an all around good pair or what. there seem to be alot to choose from and im a little confused. any suggestions would be great thanks.

kris

It all really depends on what stock you're going to be using. While wolf's jaw tongs are pretty good for round or square stock, they are a poor choice if you'll be using a lot of flat stock. It would help to know what you plan on using the most to help you decide. Just remember, there is no one tool that is good for every job.

The tongs I find myself using 90% of the time are made for holding 3/8" square stock, the are perfect for holding onto tangs, and blades. One thing I've learned is, you can never have enough tongs. The good news is that they are fairly simple to make.

Jeremy, I have been wanting some tongs from him. They look good. Nice to hear you like them. Hopefully for my B-day. Kris, for really big pieces of stock I have welded mild steel barstock on to them, and just held on to that. For smaller stuff I use bolt or flat tongs. But, I'm going to buy or make some more, I see where I need them. Jim

Kris, I've bought groups of tongs on ebay if the configurations are about right and the price is reasonable then rebuild them to my use. I've made some nice tongs for holding railroad spikes from large jaw nippers.