Maringer Haiku fighters, ALL titanium furniture

Tom Maringer

Sorry I haven't been back lately... just getting back into making knives again lately... and learning some new techniques. Specifically... TIG welding in titanium!

I'm working on a series of knives I call "Haiku"... so called because they are all takedown pieces and when fully disassembled there are 17 parts... same number as the syllables in a haiku poem.

I use a modified Japanese tang system I call a "toggle tang", in which an internal part I call a toggle is pinned to the blade, and accepts a screw through the pommel to hold everything together.

I've been doing wire wrapped handles and some rubber wrapped handles. Here are the two latest... serial #920 (dropped point blade), and #921 (swept point blade) Since I've just now finally gotten set up to TIG weld in titanium, these are the first ones I've done with all titanium furniture, INCLUDING the subhilt, and it's also the first time I've tried using titanium for the wire wrapping itself! So it's Ti to the Max... or you might say "TiMaxion" (apologies to Buckminster Fuller). I'm excited about this new direction! I tend to be quirky about the balance and weight of knives, and these finally feel RIGHT to me. So much of what I made before was too chunky and heavy.

The specs: Those are both 7 1/2" double edged D-2 blades, the knives are each ~13 inches overall... and weigh just 8.1 oz, with the balance right on the front handle collar... where the first finger goes in most grip styles.

I still have to decide about the final finishes... whether to stonewash or leave polished... and whether to anodize the handle and Ti parts... so they're not quite done yet... but far enough along to start looking like something.

920_921_03.JPG

920_921_04.JPG

920_921_05.JPG

920_921_06.JPG

920_921_07.JPG

920_921_08.JPG

920_921_09.JPG

920_921_10.JPG

920_921_11.JPG

I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't this... WOW! They look amazing.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Very nice. They just scream clean and precise.

I like wire wrapped handles a lot. What guage wire do you use? Is it stainless?

Very impressive work.

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Tom,

Really glad to see that you're back at it... and then some. Can't wait to see a sword with all Ti furnature. How are the gtaw processes different with titainium. I've seen photos of sealed cabinets with gloves like a blast cabinet. Or is it more simple than that. Thanks. ~Herb

The few surviving Samurai survey the battlefield.

Count the arms and legs and heads and then divide by five.

TMBG

Tom, Really glad to see that you're back at it... and then some. Can't wait to see a sword with all Ti furnature. How are the gtaw processes different with titainium. I've seen photos of sealed cabinets with gloves like a blast cabinet. Or is it more simple than that. Thanks. ~Herb

Hi Herb! Thanks! Not sure what "gtaw" means... but what I'm using is something you might call a "purge bowl" or "welding cup". The "glove box" would be great... but you'd have to get everything in there... and still be able to see what you're doing on really tiny stuff. I quailed at getting that to work, and it would take a lot of gas to purge that whole box. Finally came up with something based on the fact that argon is 1.4 times as dense as air... so it will "pool" up if you give it a chance. It's just a stainless steel kitchen bowl with some clamps welded into the sides, and a fitting at the bottom for a second argon line. I had to get a T-block and a second argon regulator so I could run two separate lines... one to the TIG torch head and one to the bowl. IT WORKS!!! I will need to make a few of these bowls with clamps set up for different things... but it gives full access to the torch and I can wear my 2x reading glasses and get my faceshield down close to it to see what I'm doing.

WeldingCup.JPG

Very nice

GTAW is just the official modern term for TIG. (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding).

For titanium, if you really get into it, they make a special shield that attaches to your torch and shields the weld nicely.

support Appalachian miners - smith with American coal

Tom you havent lost your touch these are just awsome!!! On your purge pot try a bronze air valve muffler as a defuser you will give you a more even gass cover. Scott

Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. (a sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.) Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Yah, I don't really get why the cup is needed? Is it necessary to pool the argon or something? I've tigged aluminum, steel, and stainless, but never titanium. What does the attachment look like?

Yah, I don't really get why the cup is needed? Is it necessary to pool the argon or something? I've tigged aluminum, steel, and stainless, but never titanium. What does the attachment look like?

I posted a pic of the cup or bowl upthread in a reply to herb. It's necessary because titanium is highly reactive and will grab onto any available oxygen which then poisons the metal. Without protection it becomes glass-brittle.... NOT GOOD. Since I am cold hammering to shape AFTER welding it is critical that the weld be clean and oxygen-free. You can weld it without the bowl... but it will fall apart!

Also how did you do all that beautiful notching on that grip?

The grip itself is a laminated bamboo core wrapped with twisted titanium wire. But I assume you're referring to the furniture, not the grip. Those pieces were notched using a 20-line checkering file. I think I got it from Brownell's.

Tom,

The purge pot blew my mind. Really simple, almost obvious and it looks like I have something else I might try screwing around with. do you just use pure Ti wie as filler? Gonna have to gather my Ti scraps and make a bowl in case I have a slow Friday afternoon at work. yipee! ~Herb

The few surviving Samurai survey the battlefield.

Count the arms and legs and heads and then divide by five.

TMBG

Tom! :excl:

I am so glad to see that you are back to making blades.

As they have always been your work is stunning.

I fell in love with your work years ago when I saw one of your "Vorpal" swords.

Sadly I have never been able to afford your work and most likely can not afford it now.

I promise to only drool at it but not on it. :)

Keep the stunning stuff comming please.

Tom, The purge pot blew my mind. Really simple, almost obvious and it looks like I have something else I might try screwing around with. do you just use pure Ti wie as filler? Gonna have to gather my Ti scraps and make a bowl in case I have a slow Friday afternoon at work. yipee! ~Herb

Hi Herb: Actually... I was shearing little strips off the edge of the sheet to use as filler. That way I can be sure of an exact color match. Speaking of scraps though... I did another experiment: I made a little graphite crucible that I clamped down in the bowl and grounded it... filled it with little Ti scraps and clippings... purged it... then hit it with the arc. The pieces all fused together into a cute little button! The button can be hot forged above 1600 degrees like warm butter. With a bigger crucible... or even just a graphite plate... larger masses could be assembled before manipulating.

Holy Crap those are outstanding. Glad your back. I was just talking to Joe Pinegar about you the other day and had been wondering where you had been. Glad your time is being well spent.

Thanks Adlai! Tell Joe "hi" for me... still in the same place as ever. Give him my email addy!