Feeling much much better now, thanks

Sooooo, picking up where we left off yesterday.

first we layout and cut for the Sub-Guard

handle-4.jpg

Here I am laying out the slot onto the guard stock (1/4 x 1 - 416SS)

handle-5.jpg

Looking good, but probably a little bigger than we want it

handle-6.jpg

That's the ticket

handle-7.jpg

Threaded rod brazed into the tang (I cut out a slot w/ my bandsaw)

handle-8.jpg

Hmmm, seems we have a gap here when we screw things down tight

handle-9.jpg

That's much better

handle-10.jpg

I cnat wait to see more, I love tutorials that show the fitting and finishing, it shows me new ways things can be done.

Got the nut Brazed onto the but cap material and everything glued up now

handle-11.jpg

Start to work down the profiles everywhere

handle-12.jpg

Details are important.

I carefully file grooves into the buttcap to match the Stag texture. (those are a PAIN to polish later... cest le vie)

handle-13.jpg

Pretty much done now

handle-14.jpg

and the other side. (couple scratches to get out)

handle-15.jpg

I'll darken it up a little bit with some dye and do a bunch of detail sanding to get all the nooks and crannies.

Tomorrow I will get out the lightbox and take nifty pics, after I get the sheath done.

I hope you all have enjoyed watching the process as much as I enjoyed showing it. It's really been fun.

Stephan

Thats turning out awesome! Cant wait to see her all finished, thanks for the WIP

In the spirit of the WIP thread we have this first picture, just kinda shows my lighting setup. What you don't see is the big white piece of posterboard that usually ends up balanced or held in some oddball spot to bounce the light where I want it.

finished-1.jpg

First we have the knife all by itself

finished-2.jpg

I REALLY like how this shot came out. I've never really tried to use props before but I decided to go for it here and I'm pleased.

finished-3.jpg

Best shot I had showing the sheath, don't mind the bit of yellow poster hanger stuff, I use balls of that to position the blade where I want it.

finished-4.jpg

Details of the Blade

finished-5.jpg

Other side

finished-6.jpg

Gnarly Gnarly stag, I like it

finished-7.jpg

Some details of the subhilt

finished-8.jpg

And the overall handle

finished-9.jpg

this question is comming a little bit late, but as gan' daddy always said (or did he?) better late than never!

my question is: after the knife has been all nice and hardened, and you grind it gain with the 36g belt, how do you keep from ruining the heat treatment?

Man!!! That looks GREAT! Thank you for taking the time to document your process. What did you use to darken your stag?

Edited by Hogan Baker
I hope you didn't waste it by just taking a picture :rolleyes:

Knowing Stephan, he put it to excellent use. :lol:

NICE job on the tutorial, dude. B) I gots to get me a light box set up again, it's just I'm doing so many long objects lately it's hard to scale 'em up to fit.

Great job on the WIP. The knife turned out beautiful. Was a shame to lose so much of the bark from that stick, but It still turned out great! Wes

this question is comming a little bit late, but as gan' daddy always said (or did he?) better late than never!

my question is: after the knife has been all nice and hardened, and you grind it gain with the 36g belt, how do you keep from ruining the heat treatment?

The biggest thing is using a FRESH belt, they cut smoother, cleaner and cooler than an old belt

it's the higher grits you have to be super careful on, the 36 really doesn't build up heat very quick, and I tend to dunk into my water bucket after every pass anyways.

it's the 600g belt you have to be really really careful with, they can blue an edge SUPER quick.

which is one of the biggest reasons I do most of my work at the lowest grit reasonably possible. So that when I get to the 220 / 400 / 600 grit belts I'm not trying to remove much material, just enough that the previous grit scratches are gone.

The biggest thing is using a FRESH belt, they cut smoother, cleaner and cooler than an old belt

it's the higher grits you have to be super careful on, the 36 really doesn't build up heat very quick, and I tend to dunk into my water bucket after every pass anyways.

it's the 600g belt you have to be really really careful with, they can blue an edge SUPER quick.

which is one of the biggest reasons I do most of my work at the lowest grit reasonably possible. So that when I get to the 220 / 400 / 600 grit belts I'm not trying to remove much material, just enough that the previous grit scratches are gone.

wonderful work, dude.

did ı miss the steel type? the hamon is breathtaking and what did you use for guenching..?

wonderful work, dude.

did ı miss the steel type? the hamon is breathtaking and what did you use for guenching..?

it is 1095 quenched in Parks #50 with Satanite

thanks, I plan to do another one to have one available for sale at the blade show.

Man, that was a good walking through of making a gorgeous knife. I enjoy your blades, but your photo set up was a cool thing to see also.

keep it up dude. We all enjoy your work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just a guess, but when we were having bandwidth issues a lot of people took down their older pics. None have been deleted by the admins, it was all up to individuals. Stephan may have removed them for that reason. That's why I said ask him. ;)